Tuesday, June 07, 2005

The Devil's Luck

One of my favourite fantasy characters of all time is a chap called Mat Cauthon in The Wheel of Time. After an episode with a cursed dagger that almost had him possessed, this guy was cured but was left with one fortunate side effect: luck! Every time there there was something where completely random factors were involved, things would always turn out in his favour. He would win all dice and card games hands down, etc etc.

Exit Mat Cauthon, Enter (trumpets blow) SP. Did you know that I have almost always won some small prize in Housie or Lucky Dip or Lottery or something like that? Never a big prize, though. But some prize. Almost always. You can try it out, too... just think of me and write down my name at the next lucky dip you can be a part of, and tell me if you got a prize! Of course, you'd have to send it to me, since it's in my name :p

Every single astrologer I've met, whether he's read my palm or my horoscope or whatever, has told me that I'm a really lucky person. Well I don't need them to tell me that. Lady Luck always smiles upon me. I've seen a lot of people struggle hard to get the things in life that they want. At almost every stage, they face problems, unforeseen and uncontrollable circumstances constantly seeking to flatten to rubble what they worked so hard to build. On the other hand, I've always had it easy. I can't put it all down to careful and meticulous planning, because I'm not really that good a planner. Even if I were, it still doesn't explain how things always work for me. There definitely must be someone up there taking care of me.

I've tried to answer the question, "Do you believe in Luck?" unsuccessfully for something like half my short lifetime. The fact of the matter is that I still don't know what that question means. Nobody can depend upon luck... but one can and must do one's best, and hope that fortune favours the brave.

Cheers,
Prashanth.

13 comments:

Self Writeous said...

Luck is for laggards, I imagined ere a wise soul enunciated the meaning of LUCK: (L)abor (U)nder (C)orrect (K)nowledge. Now I am a believer.

Prashanth said...

Because of me??!!

Kirthi said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kirthi said...

When I read this I went "eh? eh? and eh?". Hey what's this man. Why this inexplicable ambivalence as far as luck/fate/fortune is concerned? To think this was the very guy who wrote a poem titled "destiny". Hello, what's the real deal? Make up your mind!

Tipsy Topsy said...

Not so lucky in things like Housie and stuff, but i think i am real lucky with a lot of big things in life. The REAL big problems in my life are very trivial. touch wood.

About the tagging, nopes :). I prefer to be known as Tipsy Topsy or TT.

Prashanth said...

Kithi, if you read the introductory line I'd written for that poem, you'll see that I'd already said that I don't actually HOLD the views expressed in the poem, but wrote the poem in that manner nonetheless. This is like the debating thing I was telling you about... I can argue on any side of the table no matter what my beliefs are... my sole purpose being to open up the minds of some people. You're not the first person to be confused by such behaviour from me :)

Tipsy, aye aye, Captain!!

Vc said...

Aaah no wonder you were all curious about my "Devil's own luck". hmmm ... You've just made me curious abt the Wheel of Time series...

hmm.. you say "almost" so it was never 10 out of 10 ? ( che I thought i could boast about being 11 out of 10 ).
Jokes apart.. I believe in luck..its something like the topic " Does GOD exist?" ( I hope Kirthi is not reading this...)

Make full use of this good fortune..my bank account number is..

Kirthi said...

Grrr Vc I am gonna come right there to bangalore for giving you some pattaar pattaars; you deserve it really...no wonder..poor dee sniff! sob!

Vc said...

eh ? hello ? Now what did i do ?

Vc looks on innocently...

aniket said...

came to know abt your blog. checked it as soon as i could. man you rock!
btw do u believe in luck? ;-)

Prashanth said...

Thanks, Aniket! Do I know you?

I believe I've already answered the latter question :)

aniket said...

naah, don't think so!!
btw nice stuff u started on VC's blog :-)

Prashanth said...

Hey Jat... I said ALMOST always :)

And I'm still having trouble with the phrase "believe in luck..."

Ok, this is getting old... new post coming up..