Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Bridge Mania hits Chicago

The 2006 Summer North American Bridge Championships are going on here at Chicago... I flew all the way to play for a few days. All right, I'm a bridge chump, not a champ, but I really wanted to play, so I did. And what a week it's been! For the past six days, I've been sleeping 6-7 hours per night and playing bridge 11-12 hours per day. I'm currently in that sweet state of satisfied intellectual exhaustion that comes with over-exerting one's brain cells. In other words, I'm ready to drop to the ground and ask someone to wake me up when September ends.

The American Contract Bridge League reports that about 6000 people are playing this time. So, at particular times of the day between bridge sessions, the cafeterias in the Chicago Downtown area get overrun by bridge buffs arguing and discussing the hands. Any random spot we chose for getting something to eat or drink, we would see people with bidding convention cards in their pockets, game records in their hands and the occasional pencil tucked behind a ear. I must have worn a manic grin on my face whenever someone said something loud enough for me to pick up, for I've been out of place for long as one of the few bridge enthusiasts around no matter where I go. That's the nice thing about our world, isn't it? Somehow, somewhere you're bound to find like-minded people.

The thing I liked best about the week was the fact that we got our asses kicked whenever we ventured to play in the more serious events. I never forget a strategy, especially when I'm at the receiving end, so that's a lot of arsenal for *my* future perusal. Of course, it gets depressing after a while, so we played in some of the easier fields in between to rack up some points and more importantly, some self-esteem :)

I also managed to do a bit of sightseeing, thanks to our good friend Intern who was nice enough to show me around for a day. Chicago is a really nice city, especially the area where I was staying - near Grant Park, adjoining Lake Michigan. Our other good friend Ramani put up with me .. er... put me up for the week. Cool breeze, fresh air, greenery, good music almost every evening with free concerts at Millenium Park a short walk away. I should also mention, accessibility to all the "happening" joints in downtown chicago, shopping, restaurants, as well as transportation - for the record. For me, that was all just icing on the bridge cake. I'll put up some pictures after I get home and process them.

Incidentally, I turn 23 this week. Birthdays are so depressing. Either you realize how young you are as opposed to how old you feel, or you realize how old you are and wish for the the good ol' days. Equally depressing is the realization that I have a lot of work to do to make up for taking off for so long. Or maybe all the depression is just because of the realization that my fantastic week has come to an end.

Cheers,

Prashanth.

11 comments:

Born a Libran said...

You hit base pretty close to home dude... Seems like you enjoyed urself... A little early but happy b'day nonetheless...

Vc said...

Its July 20th .... Happy Birthday Prashanth. I hope "atleast" this year you become wise as Gandalf :)

Have a blast !! Boooom

Divster said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Divster said...

I know you enjoyed the little moments! :) It's something that will rejuvenate u when you r piled up in work.

Happy Birthday, Prashu! :)
May Success shine on you always!

Ur 23..so hightime to become a good boy eh.. i mean man :P

Prashanth said...

B-a-l,
Thanks for the wishes!

Vc,
If older were wiser, you'd be the wisest man in the world ;)

Intern,
Thank you! Pictures coming up soon...

Div,
Thanks but the day I'll be good is far away yet :D

Deepti Ravi said...

Happy Birthday!!!:) :)

Anonymous said...

the emphasis was on "boy" and "man"

not on good.. :P

Pattaaaaaaaaaaar

-GirlAnony

Prashanth said...

Deepti,
Thank you! What happened to you, missing in action?

Girl Anony,
*OUCH* what was that for? (rubs cheek)

Unknown said...

hey! a bit belated but happy birthday!!!!!

so you're a bridge enthusiast, eh? looks like that convention was fun.

Prashanth said...

TGFI,
Thanks! And yes, I had fun!

Intern,
Yep, all's well :)

Anonymous said...

via pkblogs, im here, finally :)

~ good, good...most def. sounds like FUN with capitals!...
~ eat an extra slab of chocolate as a belated bday wish fm me!