Saturday, January 20, 2007

Approaching normalcy...

After surviving exams, surgery, the Charles De Gaulle airport, and a horde of relatives saying, "Oh my child! How thin you've become!", my life is slowly coming back to normal. Until I'm back at my desk in Penn State at the end of this month, though, I'll continue to be a little detached from the online world.

The solution to life, the universe and everything does not appear to be 42, but a series of little 42s. For instance, look at the trials I mentioned above. Exams? Attend classes more regularly and pay better attention. The Charles De Gaulle airport? Never fly Air France again. Being thin? Er... regain those lost pounds (somebody tell me how!) and don't give my relatives an opportunity to make such statements. I feel like I'm in one of Nissim Ezekiel's poems... the cosmos conspiring to keep me thin, and my own negligence making it worse.

And of course, there are the unavoidables. What was the surgery for? I can hardly spell it. What was the cause? Even the doctors aren't sure. At least they knew how to treat it, I should be grateful for that. I feel a little vexed that this prevented me from having fun for a while - couldn't meet up with my good ol' pals or play at the local bridge clubs, but I tell myself, it could have been a lot worse. I did get to read a ton of books, so I had something to occupy me, even if I've been reduced to reading masala authors like Clive Cussler.

The leap from epic fantasy to pulp fiction is rather painful, and I'm itching to get back to the public library in State College, but hey, I'm in one piece, in reasonably good health, and the future is worth looking forward to.

Cheers,
Prashanth.

7 comments:

Sakshi said...

I'm itching to get back to the public library
I so can understand that feeling. I had the same urge after a week into my vacation. And I scorned at the lil' library back home. Oh, how I have been spoiled.
I'm in one piece, in reasonably good health, and the future is worth looking forward to.
AMEN!!

Anonymous said...

So what was the surgery for?? Hope you are alright now!! Ahhh how to grow fat...let me know if you get to know about that (I'll make sure my mom doesn't hear of it)!

Anonymous said...

welcome back! you were musch missed... yes I did check this place out ...

Anonymous said...

Sp are you alright ??

Prashanth said...

Thanks guys :) but I'm fine, really. The surgery was for something called a fistula.... there, that wasn't very helpful, was it? The important thing is that my health is returning to normal...

Artful Badger said...

"the cosmos conspiring to keep me thin, and my own negligence making it worse"
Ha! Quite poetic sounding. Just like Vikram Seth.
So, what exactly is a fistula? Heard it was something similar to a appendictomy (sp?).

Prashanth said...

I hunted it up... the poem that contained that line was actually written by Nissim Ezekiel. It goes,

"...The cosmos conspires
To keep their child thin..."


Naaah, its not like an appendectomy. Don't worry about it dude, the important thing is that its over.