Saturday, August 02, 2008

Really? You weren't sarcastic?

I think I have been around the sarcastic types for too long.

I was talking to a friend about the Dashavataram movie, and I said I liked the ending (the movie dragged in the middle). The conversation was on SMS and she replied saying something like "Yeah, especially the Pearl Harbour part".

Now a little background for those who haven't seen the movie. The scene she mentioned was one where the Japanese guy is in a fist-fight with the ex-CIA mercenary. The CIA guy tries to sledge the Japanese guy by saying "Remember Hiroshima?" and the Japanese guy replies, "Remember Pearl Harbour?". A totally corny scene, I thought. I naturally concluded that she was being sarcastic. I replied saying, "Come on, the movie wasn't that bad" and she got totally confused. Apparently she actually meant that she liked the movie and the ending - including the Pearl Harbour reference.

Yet another incident: I was playing bridge and pulled off a tricky play after much thinking. My partner commented, "Why were you thinking so much? Should have been straightforward for someone at your level," and I told him to cut out the sarcasm. That's because it was a tough problem and it took me a lot of thought to get it right. But turns out he wasn't being sarcastic either, and he actually felt I was an advanced enough player that it should have been a breeze for me.

I've been around people making sarcastic comments for so long that I've started thinking everyone is like that. Have to remember what's normal in this world :)

You reading this, Sakshi?

Cheers,
Prashanth.

5 comments:

Ramya Ramadurai said...

what a lovely post! :D

Sakshi said...

LOL.
Well,you need to hang out more with simple folks again. You will learn to trust :D

Prashanth said...

Galadriel,
Adi paavi! Sniff. Sob.

Sakshi,
Are you grinning and adding one to the number of people you have successfully corrupted?

Vc said...

Damn !! where are all the sarcastic ppl hiding ?

myths said...

uahahahahaha loved Galadriel's comment!!