Monday, January 10, 2005

Practice what you preach!

Of late I've been dishing out loads of advice to other people. Maybe it has something to do with being in the final year of college. Or maybe I just like to teach and preach. Anyway, I feel like I'm talking to myself as much as I'm talking to the others when I am doing so.

I was trying to convince a fresher not to hate his branch but have some faith that every branch is diverse and he will find something interesting. And I kept thinking about how I refused to put a 100% effort in my studies because I didn't find my subjects interesting. I guess thats how people end up becoming academic losers. Fortunately I didn't slip too much and cleaned up my act.

Realizing the problem is half the battle won, I suppose. I sure as hell know that if I do a PhD I wont let such things happen. Or am I not that diligent a guy? I was telling another guy that it is ok to do the things you love, like playing computer games, as long as they don't interfere with your studies. And I just postponed some work for tomorrow because I was busy playing my favourite RPG!

Is it human nature to succumb to temptation in that way? Is that the reason why some people can't quit smoking or drinking even though they want to? In that case, are the truly 'great' people who have made an impact on this world, the ones who rose above such things to do their duty, or is that just the stuff of romantic fiction?

Perhaps I should have a long talk with someone who is an achiever. Mentoring should do me some good. But then again, is the lack of guidance an excuse for any failure? Or worse, an excuse for incompetence?!!

Cheers,
Prashanth.

No comments: