Friday, January 28, 2005

Video killed the radio star

.... and the bad teacher killed the interest in the student. What makes a particular college or school good? How good the teachers are, of course. The words roll off your tongue easily. The reality of it leaves too bad a taste in the mouth for me to say it, though.

I know that coming from PSBB Chennai and then IIT, I've been taught by some of the best educators in the business, and hence I shouldn't be the one complaining. I mean, what about the people less fortunate than me?

Still, for the same reason, I feel the sting of the poor teachers severely. Consider the fact that my maths grades are D-C-D-C (thats 6.5/10 for those not familiar with the IIT grading system). If my old school teachers ever heard that I've been getting anything less than the top grade in maths they would be truly shocked. I've always been a keen maths student. But after four years in IIT I thought I lost it... until I read Simon Singh's book "Fermat's Last Theorem" (good book btw) and realized that I still am extremely interested in any kind of mathematics, as long as it is put across to me in the right way. And it is my opinion that if you are genuinely interested in something, you can't be bad at it for long.

Am I claiming that I had four bad maths teachers in a row? Yes, I most definitely am. It's not so hard to believe. I deliberately asked my friend whom he considered the best maths teachers on our campus. None of the four who taught me figure anywhere near the top of that list.

I've seen this story repeat itself time and again. My brother keeps telling me his high school chemistry teacher destroyed what interest he had for the subject. Many of my friends choose their electives on campus not according to the subject of their interest, but according to the Professor taking the course. Etcetera etcetera.

Having been a teaching assistant for a year, I know how hard it can be to be a teacher. But I feel that having one rule can nip the problem immediately: just remember, as a teacher, that your aim is to inspire. Your students should not just be taught; they should learn.

Cheers,
Prashanth.

3 comments:

Niyathi said...

Hey Prashanth..
Well-written n all tht..but honestly methinks tht teachin is one of the most challengin professions wherein you need to cater to students of different wavelength..
Frankly I haven't ever gained or lost interest in a subject owing to a teacher being good or bad..ironically music remains my first love though I'm afraid I can't call my music tutor my fav teacher or even label her classes as my fav classes for tht matter..guess ultimately self help is the best form of help!!

Prashanth said...

I agree that teaching can be extremely hard. Which is why I reduced the essential aspect of teaching down to just one statement: keep the students interested in the subject! Again, there is no problem if a student is already very enthusiastic about it. After all, don't you think that if you are already inspired to do something, you will definitely do it well? It is in the other cases where the teacher has to generate the inspiration, and that will translate to motivation.

Anonymous said...

hey pacha...agreed teaching plays a pivotal role in shaping a student...but i thought guys like you were self motivated..keep blogging...its interesting..