Wednesday, March 16, 2005

No Fear!

As a kid I was a shy and introverted chap.

A very short and simple statement to make, one which you would read and say, "Oh! Okay. Guess he's changed a bit now," and go on with your life.

If only the implications of that statement were that simple! I was always the quiet kid in the corner. When we had free time, I would read a book or write something instead of screaming at the top of my lungs like all other normal kids. I couldn't talk to teachers or elders in general without stammering. I hardly spoke to cousins. I never spoke to girls.

But most of all, I had this acute case of stage fright. So much so that my class teacher in third grade let me play oliver twist so that if I stammered, it would appear to be part of my script! So much so that everytime I had to make a little speech or presentation in class, I would end up making such a sorry spectacle of myself that I could see the sympathetic look on every face. The look that says, "Poor guy. Such a bright, intelligent chap. But God gives and God takes. He can't speak for nuts." Well, to hell with that stereotype. I took it up as a challenge after one disastrous lecture on lasers that I delivered in ninth grade.

From then on, I attended classes on public speaking. I participated in activities that put me on stage. I started talking a little more, in general. And I listened to loads of advice.

Progress has been excruciatingly slow. If today, I can confidently hold my own in a conversation with any number of people of any age, no matter whether they are acquaintances or good friends or professors or relatives, it because I've worked hard to get here. Today I have as many good friends among girls as I do with guys. Today I can choose to be witty and charming (as far as my limited social abilities allow me) when in a gathering, though I may not be so simply because I feel it's a little hypocritical.

The reason I am talking about all this now is because I went on stage yesterday for a panel discussion with a few other students and professors, plus a sizeable (>40) audience, and I did not stammer once. I was easy, comfortable, composed and confident. Never mind how mundane the topic ("Generation Gap"). Never mind the familiarity of my friends and good old CLT. I've never behaved this naturally on stage in my life. In a sense I feel that I have reached one little milestone in my journey.

What is next?

Cheers,
Prashanth.

7 comments:

The Ignoramus said...

Till i reached the last paragraph, i was wondering if it was you that had penned this. Anyway, I forgot to thank you for participating. Thanks a lot.

sensiblystoned said...

Hi SP

Have always enjoyed reading your articles, from either the school magazine or psbb times. Your writing, I must say is unassuming and thought provoking, quite like your presonality. I do remember the tag "wish he could speak as well as he writes" mentioned by atleast two teachers I remember. Good to know that you no longer wear that tag.

Kierthi

Prashanth said...

@ Ramsubs

Trust me, this is why I was so surprised when you asked me to be on the panel!!

@ Kierthi

Thanks dude! How did ya find me? Orkut?

@ Vitalstatistix

Who'z u? I'm having a hard time figuring out which of the 9A gang has such a cheesy sense of humour (yeah, I read a few of your blog posts!) Anywayz, you must concede I never spoke to girls till beginning of 9th std at least.. after that, I tried and cupped miserably :D
And, btw, girl friends not equal to girlfriends!!

sensiblystoned said...

Yup, pulled up blog from orkut. I dont want to play spoilsport and Im going to leave it to you to figure out who vitalstatistix is. Cheers.

Panch said...

Hey SP,

Glad to know u have gotten over ur stammering finally! So all those classes and advices from teachers have finally paid off. I remember once when you were asking Mrs.Ambika's advice on this and she asked u to recite Vishnu Sahsranamam. I was wondering if u did that too and if it did have the desired effect?

Prashanth said...

Should have guessed it was Rahul. Lots of hints
- Really corny sense of humour
- Didnt know much abt how I was before 10th std
- Had to retaliate abt the girl friends thing because of a nasty comment I made in your scrapbook some time back :p

Hehe.. and as for the Vishnu Sahasranamam and all... by now, I am this veritable database of advice on how to overcome stammering!

Prashanth said...

Who's wooaaooww now???!! Junta taking pleasure in ragging me on my own blog eh....