Saturday, December 24, 2005

Fantasy Author Reviews: Third Set

Terry Goodkind:
Goodkind is the best of authors that I've discovered in the past few months. My blog is named for Goodkind's first novel in the Sword of Truth series. The interesting thing about Goodkind's novels is his treatment of Wizardry: it's not just about magic, but equally about people. The Wizard's Rules according to him (at least, the ones he's mentioned in the first three books) are:

Wizard's First Rule: People are stupid. Corollary: People will believe anything you tell them if you know how to tell it to them.

Wizard's Second Rule: Actions with the best of intentions may lead to the worst consequences. Corollary: Always think things through. And remember that not everyone will.

Wizard's Third Rule: Passion rules Reason. Corollary: A Wizard should always think calmly, for the rest of the world probably will not.

In Goodkind's world, there are two kinds of magic: Additive and Subtractive. The knowledge of Subtractive magic was lost almost entirely by the end of some kind of a Wizard World War, which led to the division of the world at an isthmus through spell-wrought towers that maintain a barrier of illusion, storms and perils that none but a wizard could pass once, perhaps twice; but it attunes itself to people inside the zone such that absolutely nobody can pass it a third time.

In the half that is called the New World, a great magical barrier was raised to further divide the people who, on seeing the destruction that magic could cause, chose to live in a world without magic, and the people who wanted to continue their lives just the way it was. The first book of the series starts when a power-hungry wizard takes control of practically all of the land on his side of the barrier, and plots to bring down the barrier to dominate the land beyond, as well as kill the one wizard who is powerful enough to stop him.

As you can see, Goodkind is very good at creating his fantasy world, and his skill at spinning his stories match his imagination. My favourite scene from the Sword of Truth series:
"If Master Rahl is not here, then another Wizard who serves him will command the armies. We await your orders." said the Captain of the Guard.
Zed looked at him in anger. "Do you know, Captain, that I have spent most of my considerably long life fighting Wizards who tried to rule over people?"
"That is good. Better a man who bears his mantle reluctantly than one who misuses his power eagerly."

Terry Brooks:
Brooks has written a considerably large number of novels, and I have actually read a lot of them myself, yet I can never bring myself to say he is one of my favourites. I can't quite put my finger on it, but there is something missing from his style of writing. Perhaps it is that he tells good stories, but there is nothing beyond that; nothing thought-provoking, nothing to think about. Perhaps he is too predictable. I don't know.

The earlier Brooks novels, namely the original Shannara series and the first couple of Kingdom of Landover novels are probably his best. After that everything seems a bit repetitive. Even when he tried something new in the Jerle Shannara series, it came out to me as a gross hybrid of sci-fi and fantasy with none of the synergy and harmony that people like Ursula le Guin bring out.

Yet, Brooks does have some good ideas like the Elfstones and (his) Sword of Truth. The Magic Kingdom of Landover series is initially quite delightful and very original. If all you are looking for is a nice bedtime story then I would recommend you read Brooks, but if want more than that you can expect timepass but not satisfaction.

Tad Williams:
I came across this author entirely by accident when I saw the first book of his series Memory, Sorrow and Thorn in my aunt's house. Even when I read the first 60-odd pages of the book, I found nothing special and couldn't quite understand what was happening. But then, all of a sudden, things started making sense and the pieces of a masterful tale started coming together.

Memory, Sorrow and Thorn are three magical swords forged in William's original fantasy realm. The races of his realm are extremely interesting: the Humans, with their different customs in different parts of the world; the Sitha, a dwindling race of magical folk reminiscent of Tolkien's elves; the Trolls, a short but fierce and honourable race of mountain dwellers; the Dwarrows, master craftsmen like Tolkien's dwarves but peace-loving and reticent; the Wrannamen, who are humans but I ought to call them a separate race as they live isolated in swamp land and have a completely unique character; and of course a lot of different monster-type creatures.

William's writing is compelling and original, even if not evenly paced. However, when I picked up the first book of another series by him called Otherland, I found it so disgusting that I couldn't go beyond half of it, and mind you, I'm extra tolerant to fantasy authors.

A scene from Memory, Sorrow and Thorn that I liked:
The Duke saw a Clansman fighting on his side being disarmed, and called out a challenge to his attacker before he could finish him. The man looked up, and the Clansman used the extra second to draw a concealed dagger and stab him in the gut. He leapt to his feet, retrieved his weapon and waving his thanks, rejoined the battle. The Duke felt his head spin. An Erkynlander would never behave in such a dishonourable manner. But then again, should the man have died for his honour? Where was the honour in this war anyway, waged by a mad king for an unjust cause?

One more post to go.

6 comments:

Vc said...

Aahaa. . .. . . hey Sp i have this desire to read the 4 chapters of your unfinished book.Can i have a peek please please ....

Intern .. not many fantasy books(the ones Sp is talking about) have been made into films.. LOR is an exception .. the rest hmm.. its quite difficult to produce the right kind of CG...which is in par with the reader's imagination. The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe.. is the latest Fantasy flick go check it out..( HP series is another such series )

Prashanth said...

Intern,
I am not very knowledgeable in the movies area, so I can't answer your question confidently.

Vc,
My "novel" turned out to be 75% like Feist's Magician. I didn't even realize I was copying it. So, the project is abandoned temporarily :)

Actually, I realized that I need more writing experience with fiction. Am planning to write some short stories this month. Stay tuned!

Anonymous said...

can't wait for the next post and FOR THE LOVE OF ALL that's holy send me that draft please pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Vc

Anonymous said...

One more to go to torture my eyeballs and one more to go before I have a sane word with you...comeon SP you are not that merciless!!! Spare me the torment and give me a shout when I can see your blog again...eeww gross. (Psst was that nasty enough?)

Anonymous said...

kk go go .. this is not the place for little girls like you ..and stop pestering the Wizard...

Anonymous said...

SP, you disappoint..so many days and no post yet..

Nag