Friday, December 02, 2005

The other side

My weekly game at the State College bridge club. On one set of boards, I chanced to be seated at a table where all three other players were faculty at Penn State. My partner, a Distinguished Professor at the Smeal College of Business, expresses his eagerness for the impending end of the semester.

Now, bear in mind that I've been in one college or the other for 5 1/2 years of my life, during which period I have the dubious distinction of chalking up a Bachelors degree, a Masters degree, and 1/8th of a Doctorate degree. Naturally, I believe that most profs are imperfect teachers, unfair graders, and do not devote enough time to students. So, somewhat annoyed that a prof be complaining about the trials of the semester, I interject, "Hey! It's the students that should be saying that, not the profs!"

My partner smiles and replies, "What, you think students are the only ones who are glad when a semester gets over?"

For the next 2 minutes, I am privy to a discussion in a world where there is never enough time away from the responsibilities of a full time professor, the students are often annoying, and the vacations are precious time spent with home and family.

My main thought was, "Hmmm.... if students as well as profs are glad when a sem gets over, then thats scope for... camaraderie?" *shudder* The horror of it! Shut that thought.

It struck me then that I was playing bridge in a room with 7 profs, three of whom were at my table, discussing deals, sharing jokes and talking about family.

If there are two sides to a coin, should they be kept separate?

A year or two ago, I would have said yes without hesitation. But I have found a marked difference in my rapport with profs in the past year and a half. I ascribe it partly to the change from undergrad to grad, and partly to the change from an Indian university to an American university. I wonder, for other grad students, is the Ph.D period like an adolescence period, when the barriers are dropped, and then the doctoral student "crosses over" to an Assistant Professor?



Cheers,
Prashanth.

10 comments:

Prashanth said...

Go ahead, write a long comment! Haven't seen you write one in a while! Heck, while you're at it, write a caustic comment ;) I'm rather tired of people being nice to me!

Vc said...

If there are two sides to a coin, should they be kept separate?

wow .. cool thought...and whats a caustic comment ?

Caustic Soda is Sodium Hydroxide.. and its basic ,,,,,,,,,eeew,,

Kirthi said...

Aha did u just call me SP? Want me to write something nasty?
Funny in English language caustic and acidulous mean the same thing!!

Prashanth said...

Go ahead, make my day! (Western movie style... goodbadugly music in the background)

Tipsy Topsy said...

What skewed image of professors did u have in mind dude?! :P

Prashanth said...

You tell me :)

Anonymous said...

hhhmmm..... well think you chanced upon my blog through Ramani's, did you?
And about snow, well Minnesota gets that heaps and heaps more than state college and in spite of having known and suffered(??) its cons, I remain an ardent snow lover!!!!:)
and by the way, haven't read your other posts, but do you happen to be an IITian too??? I thought you'd be after reading your comment to my comment!!!;)

And about Bridge........well, annoying question, but can you teach me???? ;)
and PhD and adolescence sounds like an interesting comparison!:)

Anonymous said...

Spee are you teaching bloggers " how to play Bridge " where do i have to register .. ??

Vc

Divster said...

vc, u wudnt need to registr..ur the TA teacher assistant :)

n im the little girl who gets to swing her pony left n right while u guys play bridge.

PS did i tellu vc that u dont get paid for this..:) heres my visitin card..if ur interested in pony colada gossip colum..then contact me

Artful Badger said...

I think there is a marked difference between prof-student interaction in the US and in India. In the US I find it to be a lot much freer. You are treated as an adult. In India I notice that the Prof is more likely to demand 'respect' for being who he is.
Another factor is that, as a graduate student, if you are working with a new professor, he might be about 4-5 years older than you. That really isn't much! He is probably a little better than the senior Ph. D. student in your lab. My Prof. is from IITK, '98 Batch. About 6 years older than me. But, it really doesn't feel like working with a Prof. More like discussing with a student who knows more!