Friday, February 10, 2006

Dream on...

People are often dismissive of poets, artists, philosophers etc. "Dreamers!" they scoff. Write your poems and draw your paintings and build your castles in the sky. When the real world exerts its weight, your world will come crashing down.

I beg to differ. I get most of my best ideas on the edge of consciousness, before falling asleep or while waking up. When I was working on some particularly tough problems related to my thesis, a whole evening of racking my brains tended to draw a blank but on falling into an exhausted stupor, I would wake up the next day with the solution in my head. How wonderful this human mind is! Half of my poems were "written" in my head in that same state of semi-consciousness, sometimes while daydreaming, instead of regular night dreaming. Very often, I wake up with the distinct feeling that I grasped an important concept or thought of an interesting and original story or poem while I was asleep, but on coming fully awake the thought slips away from my grasp. If only I could record my thoughts as I dream! I count Kekule as being very lucky that he remembered his dream of the serpent biting its tail. My dreams vanish into mist on waking.

Or perhaps it's not those kinds of dreams that people are dismissive of. Perhaps it is the tendency to think in terms of what could be, instead of what is. That too, tends to go hand in hand with creativity. And that too, in my opinion is a good thing. As our friend Kirthi put it,

Dreams are like small ripples of water,
That build on each other into a gigantic yet ephemeral wave.
The moment they hit the rock of reality,
They shatter into a thousand droplets and disappear into oblivion.
But some waves continue to relentlessly lash the rock of reality,
Shaping it into a future form.
Such is the power of dreams:
An untiring desire to cut into reality and make it your own.

Sorry to be quoting you like this Kirthi, but it really is a beautiful poem!

By grounding yourself too deeply in reality, you only close your eyes to the possibilities. It's like walking through life wearing blinkers like a horse. A million improbables may sum up to a probable. If there's one thing I've learned in life, it is to not stop building castles in the sky. Somebody might just come up with the jet thrusters you need.

Break the vicious circle. Be creative. Be optimistic. Dare to dream.

Dream on, dream on, dream your dream come true...
Dream on, dream on, dream until your dream comes true...
- Aerosmith

Cheers,
Prashanth.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

u know what.
Ur blog and this article is the best thing to read right after u hav just woken up. U have just given me the right incentive and inspiration to go back to bed and finish that sleep of mine! :P

Anonymous said...

tat anany was me..

Kirthi said...

SP,

Thanks for that! It is easier said (rather written in poem) than done! Even so, thank you ever so more for having reminding me of this poem I wrote long ago. It rekindles in me that urge to set out to do what I wanted to.

Kirthi said...

*having reminded. Grr I hate typos!

Artful Badger said...

Yes, I know what you are talking about. Sometimes when I am working on a problem, I get my 'big' ideas when I am about to sleep/walking on the road or doing something inane. There have been a couple of times I have got up at 2 in the morning to write my stuff down.
As someone said, you should have your head to the sky and your feet firmly planted on the ground.

Prashanth said...

Kirthi,
What is it that you set out to do?

Ramani,
Someone said... hey was that me?

Self Writeous said...

You know Prashanth, Poeple have always told me about how one should have a dream first to be able to clinch it, but seriously I think the people who dream big and accomplish their dreams are those who actually know they can do it and have it figured out atleast vaguely, how to go about doing it.

The rest dream on... but not until their dreams come true, they dream on until they realize their true worth...

Kirthi said...

You know I have a sort of to-do list for life. Currently there are twelve major things on them. And not even one has a tick across it :(. Of course I have no intentions to let you or for that matter anyone know what they are!

Artful Badger said...

Yes..
However, I think that I have read that somewhere as well..

Vc said...

Dream on ........ 2 of my fav bloggers in one post.. :)

I wonder why Kirthi stopped writing those poems..

Artful Badger said...

Dreaming is good as long as you are aware that you are.
You should read these Edward De Bono books. Put on your creative hat, think of possibilities. Put on your rational hat, and think what is actually going to happen...

Prashanth said...

I tried reading Lateral Thinking. It was so boring I couldn't get past page 6.

alraqs said...

That really was a great poem!!...good to see so many kindred dream spirits...as lennon said-'you may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one. I hope some day you'll join us...'