Tuesday, February 28, 2006

I'll never learn...

Why why do I keep doing these things? *sigh*

- Do not procrastinate. Results vary from "Phew, that was close" to "Gosh, that was embarrassing" to "OMG this is disastrous."

- Do not contradict your superiors (read profs). Learn to "identify possible problems" and "suggest alternative solutions". And do so in private or via email, or, better yet, don't do it at all. Potential problems in failing to comply with these standards include you looking like an idiot if you are wrong and making the prof look like and idiot if he/she is wrong, both of which will not help you.

- Read weather reports. The weather in this country can change suddenly, and you do not want to be lugging around a heavy jacket in warm weather, or worse still, be caught in a blizzard without heavy gear. Weather reports are surprisingly accurate and precise over a period of 2-3 days, which seems miraculous for us desis who are used to weather reports that say "Possible chance of light to heavy rain or thundershowers in the afternoon or evening or night," rather than "35F at 1:00pm with 40% chance of light rain and 30F at 3:00pm with 60% chance of rain mixed with snow flurries."

- Ice is slippery, watch your step. If it snowed sometime in the past few days and it hasn't melted completely, the odds are there are patches of ice on the pavement and roads which can be extremely slippery. Watch where you put your feet and do not, repeat, do not, run!

- Eat and sleep regularly. Screwing up your biological clock can give you head aches and stomach aches and aches in places you never knew you had. Plus (courtesy my Mom) you run the risk of getting ulcers, and you weaken your immune system.

- Stop assuming that everyone knows everything you know. After 20 minutes of trying to explain things to a classmate, I gave an exasperated "Why are you behaving as though you've never seen a robot or a PLC in your life?" and he says in bewilderment, "But I really haven't seen a robot or a PLC in my life." Bet he thinks me arrogant, supercilious and overbearing. Perhaps I can write it off with a "Hey, I'm an IITian, I have a big ego." Hah.

- Talk to people. Go places. Do things. Make friends. I can't even complain that life is boring without feeling guilty that I haven't tried above four. Its okay to stick to bridge and computer games and novels if I'm happy enough, but may God (if he exists) strike me down for a hypocrite if I crib about my pathetic boring life without making an effort to change it.

But, I never learn. I'll never learn....

Cheers,
Prashanth.

14 comments:

Artful Badger said...

Welcome again to grad school!
As for dealing with a Prof, I have had this problem quite a bit. The best way to do it is:
1) Do not directly contradict him
2) Broach your idea tentatively. As if you are sure you are wrong. Watch him, if he seems to be reacting positively go on. If not, back out 'Oh ok, that won't work..hmm...'
:)

Vc said...

Guess what, God just took a filter Kaapi break and I get to play goody goddy God.. Please stand still Sp... I want to throw this lightning.. Vc aims... Zoooooooooom..missed.. damn...

alraqs said...

So I assume you've gotten to do your laundry without unwanted bleaches or bleeds? :D...

Prashanth said...

Ramani,
I just can't help it, its a reflex action! If I see something that looks wrong, I have to say it! And it keeps leading me into these lose-lose situations.... somebody teach me diplomacy, quick!

Vc,
Next time, try not to tip me off with the thunder :P

Alraqs,
I do not discuss my dirty laundry in public... oh heck, I've done that already in this post, haven't I? ;)

Deepti Ravi said...

ROTFL... That was quite a hilarious post from you!!! :D planning on actually learning these lessons in life?? ;)

Anonymous said...

u can append ur last item to:
- Talk to people. Go places. Do things. Make friends. Talk to family.

Anonymous said...

Ooooh somebody fell off his preacher's high horse lalalalla...btw do preachers ride horses?

The procrastination part applies to me as well :(

Hmm I use ramani's idea a lot of times. It works.

You know you remind me of a pendulum swinging from one extreme of a super-confident model of infallible perfection to another extreme of a diffident, painfully mortal, self-depreciating human.

Prashanth said...

Deepti,
Told you, I never learn :D

Anna,
*ouch*

Kirthi,
Ah, the dual personality theory again :)
I am hardly the confident type... and most definitely not infallible! Wonder how I ever gave you that impression!!

Sundeep said...

I can say for sure that procrastination is second nature to most grad students. So there's no point in your first resolution.

Again contradicting superiors at the right time and in the right way is anyday better than remaining silent. For one, it shows them that you arent merely nodding slavishly to whatever they say and that you are actually thinking things through.

As for the rest, they are definitely easier to follow.

Artful Badger said...

This phenomenon is also called 'Foot in Mouth'.

alraqs said...

Procrastination is literally a culture amongst grad students, I think...Everyone has their own stories and anecdotes and practices for wriggling out of a tight spot...And talking about it is another avenue for peforming the act itself :)

Primalsoup said...

You live, You learn!
I know, I know, that is terrible. But one just says things like that at such times! :)
Thankfully for me, I would never need to worry about stuff like weather!

Prashanth said...

Su,
There is no "Easier to follow", all of these things are uniformly difficult for me :)

Alraqs
Blogging is also a nice "technique" for procrastination ;)

Smugbug,
I live (though people people still tell me to get a life), but I don't learn. And I'm a doctoral student. Isn't it ironic, don't you think?

Anonymous said...

Hey..Just Chill

Dont we all make the same mistakes again? If everything went the perfect way.. then there wudnt be something to work on! These things u mentioned..some of them r soo small things. But, details matter to you. It's just at some point U have blown these out of proportion and written them down here! Please dont be so negative...Always say I WILL I WILL...even if u dont do it! Attitude matters!

Dont give up!

And here is a new pair of Boots* for the Ice part. :)