Saturday, March 04, 2006

The dignity of labour

Back in IIT, I "earned" the nickname "The Prince of Chennai" for being a totally spoilt brat. I guess they had enough reasons....

- I went home frequently
- I always had help in moving in and out of my room for the vacations, with my driver and occasionally a servant aiding me. They even helped clean up my room while moving back in!
- My Mom being a super famous culinary expert, people assumed that I get to eat yummy exotic dishes everyday that I'm not in the hostel
- I fantasized aloud occasionally about going back home to an airconditioned existence rather than sweating it out in the hostel rooms
- I had a nice computer and nicer motorbike and a cell phone (even if that was a crummy one)

I can see how I must have appeared to be a spoilt rich kid, but the truth is I'm not rich. Just S.P.O.I.L.T. Being the younger son in the family, I revel in the extra attention and affection my Mom showers on me. And heck, I'm not in the least ashamed of it.

So, here I land in the United States and all of a sudden, I'm doing my own cooking; I have to do the dishes; I have to vacuum the carpet; I have to scrub kitchen floors and bathroom floors; I have to clean toilet bowls; I have to do my own laundry and ironing and grocery shopping and what not and what not. I must admit it was all hard at first for a guy like me. But it's been nearly 8 months since I landed in the US and I've gotten used to it, and it's not all that bad.

In India, we grow up in a stratified society where the menial tasks are deemed unfit for people in respectable families to be doing. Perhaps it is the result of the millenia of influence of caste system and rule by nobility. Perhaps we have a tradition of exploiting the underprivileged and those with the money have a vested interest in keeping the lack of equal opportunity remain that way. Perhaps this is the only stable social structure for an overpopulated country. I don't know. But let me tell you what I do know.

There was a day when I was extremely anxious and my nerves were so frayed I couldn't sit still. Funnily enough, the only thing that worked for keeping mind calm was an extended session of cleaning the dishes! I did my roommates' dishes and the cooking utensils and the spoons and forks and I did it slowly and deliberately. By the time I finished it was as though I'd just meditated for an hour, and as a bonus my kitchen was sparkling clean!

I'm not the cribbing kind, but I can be quite the critic at times. Now, doing everything by myself, I realized how much I ought to criticize myself if I retained my "standards". No lesson in humility is better learnt than by making the same mistakes for which you've raised your eyebrows at others in the past.

It feels wonderfully independent living in this way. If I went back to India and lived in a nuclear family, I would live without cooks or servants.

I'm learning to be more responsible, and discovering talents like cooking - the hard way!

I'm partially cured of my laziness. It's true!

In short, there is nothing denigrating about menial labour. I fully believe that every child should be made to do it as part of his/her upbringing. I may be critical of the USA about many things, but one of the things they did get right is to instill the fact that there is dignity in labour. Nobody thinks any less of the guy shovelling snow in the corner: he could be a regular guy, earning an extra buck to buy his girlfriend a gift. Nobody thinks any less of the girl behind the counter at the cafeteria, hey, maybe she works part time while going to college at the same time. Even if he isn't and she's not, these are considered as perfectly respectable things to do. There is an all-round pride-taking in standing on one's own feet and being 100% independent. If you have full time maids and servants, you must be stinking rich and live in a really big house!

I wonder if I'll ever see such an attitude in India....

Cheers,
Prashanth.

25 comments:

Tipsy Topsy said...

Good thing I have cleaned the toilet bowl in India itself. Won't have a problem if I ever land abroad. :P

Prashanth said...

Tipsy,
Hey! There you are! Come back here, you, stop running away...

Intern,
Well, I do tend to go into nostalgia mode at times, so I won't be surprised if I've started some previous post with "Back in IIT..." :)

Artful Badger said...

Hmm..
The bottomline is that labor is cheap in India and it works better to employ someone.
Here labor is expensive, thus you have to one device or the other.

Prashanth said...

OMG... I'm actually repeating myself... this blog is getting OLD!!

Anonymous said...

oh.. so all the while i thought you were tidying up the kitchen, and making us feel all guilty, you were actually meditating - and being totally selfish. that is cheating..

and SP~ you haven't done anything I would even begin to call *menial* labor. Keeping your own house tidy, and ironing your own clothes is hardly *menial*.. if this is the best *conquest over adverse conditions* story you got, i'm not buying it.. better luck next time

alraqs said...

Well the US too def. does have its own class system, but it is nice that in general you dont get 'looked down upon' for driving a semi or working at a gas station or being a housekeeper and such...

Prashanth said...

Kirthi,
I can hardly call this "adverse conditions"! Its regular conditions (at last) for a confessed spoilt brat.

For a girl, these things may hardly qualify as "labour", leave alone menial, but its a different story for guys. Why do you look at everything I say through some weird tinted glasses?

Anonymous said...

this is going to be funny.

Artful Badger said...

The distribution here is actually quite interesting. Most menial work is done by younger people before they finish their education and move onto more sophisticated work. So the division is at some level by age. A guy who went on to become a CEO might have waited tables as an undergrad. In India, the division is by the class of society. Interesting.

Anonymous said...

That Anony wasn't me grrr! Uhahah so finally we've got someone else who contradicts you.

Hello I don't even wear tinted glasses! You definitely deserve this pattar!!

Coming to think of it, just goes to prove that my style of writing is not so stereotypical that you could recognize it despite the anonymity: just that I was a unique voice of dissent here!! :P

--kk

Deepti Ravi said...

well 'prince'.. good that ur learning to 'cook and clean'.. and yeah kids do need to probably do a little bit of housework.. but it's more a case of necessity and survival... even when i was living in my own apartment.. i was quite comfy with washing vessels, sweeping, swabbing,cleaning bathrooms, washing my own clothes ( no laundromats out here!!!!) .. but now that i am out of it.. its equally comfy and just as much a necessity to have a maid to do the basic stuff.. so its more a case of adjusting and adapting to make do with what you have and work on what you don't.. do me a fav.. if you get back to india.. do remember to tell whether or not you hired a maid!!! :)

Vc said...

Sp,you are repeating yourself ..pattar.. but your faithful readers try to spice it up.. like this anonymous who wrote "kitchen, and making us feel all guilty, you were actually meditating - and being totally selfish. that is cheating.."

Kirthi I confess even i thought it was you .. mainly because of the words " that is cheating" but then i realized that Anony had just stabbed Sp and didnt turn the handle at an acute 39 degrees, like you do (wink wink)..

So who is that anony ?

Anonymous said...

ah, so you don't like outsiders in this clique little group of yours??

every blog you make, every simile you fake, every paranthesis you break, i'll be watching you. (now that song is going to play in my head for a while)

SP~ nobody is interested in these mundane "oh! i had to use the ordinary dish washing liquid whereas i really wanted the extra-clean lemon smelling non-greasy liquid" OR "oh, i need to chant the hanuman chalisa before I can even look at the mountains of trash which need to be removed"

where are all the personal details?? the hearts broken.. the love shattered.. flirting with moral turpitude.. COme on, out with it, man!

Prashanth said...

Yikes!

Kirthi,
I'm really, really, really, really sorry!! (begs forgiveness and promises to add more really's next time)
But you're not the "unique" dissenting voice, just my favourite one :) see, we have this dude, then there's HoH, etc.

Deepti,
Apparently I'm too idealistic at times :) so I'm not making any bets here...

Anon,
My life is really mundane right now, so I don't have any interesting stories involving broken hearts or walking the moral knife's edge or whatever :(
So you'll have to be happy with such boring subjects if you want to read my blog. And outsiders are always welcome, as is criticism; but I suspect you are far from being an outsider, my guess is you are my #*$&%^@#* flatmate.

Unknown said...

if there was no martin luther king, labour in US would have been cheaper that that in india. it was only becoz of a rebellion like that did the equivalent of caste in US die. din't it? if it continued to exist the no. of illiterates would have continuously increased and then the consequences are pretty guessable.
it wont be long before they invent devises that can be controlled remotely to for cooking, and cleaning and all. and the job of controlling these will be out-sourced to india....hehe

Anonymous said...

For one I don't use the squiggly whatever character like this tilde ~.

Secondly, sitting here in India I could figure it was your roomie by this "oh.. so all the while i thought you were tidying up the kitchen, and making us feel all guilty, you were actually meditating - and being totally selfish. that is cheating.."
Seriously man you need to wash your brain as well: look its catching dust!!

Since you've anyway been earning a lot of flak for this post I won't add to your misery and I accept your apology :)!

Of course your house maintaining efforts will come in handy for your future wife.
--kk

Vc said...

Ouch .. Kirthi ..leave Sp alone..

Anonymous said...

damn.. the tilde (~) got me!!

quite a lot of fun, nontheless..

Prashanth said...

Kripa,
Dude! Long time! How are you?
A rebellion in India... of who?! The lower castes? The poor? The women? Not in this century!

Intersting future scenario, though :)

Kirthi,
Grrrrrr... oh well ok I'll go wash my brain [-(

Nag,
Wait wait I'll eat up the pizza left over from last night, no slices for you...

Oh damn, you already beat me to them... NOOOOOO

Artful Badger said...

I think anon is likely to be the same jackass who came up with that blog. I think I know who it is ;)..

Artful Badger said...

or is it?..oh you are with nag?..and amol and all..
Btw - I might be driving down to PSU this break. Topa is thinking of visiting Brandy, so I thought I would tag along.

Tipsy Topsy said...

Don't worry. I read all ur posts (except the ones on those authors) and even recommend some to others who then make posts about it..:P
http://bytebite.net/adjournment/2006/02/21/choice-of-a-16-year-old/

Anonymous said...

omg!

That link opens up to an article. In the first line the writer thinks im right. Oooh.. :P

-Mysterious D

Prashanth said...

Ramani,
Don't worry, Nag is a nice guy, a bit wicked but in general, nice. When's your break? I have 2 mid sem exams next week so you may not actually see much of me if you come at that time :(

Tipsy,
Omigosh! You continue to surprise me...

Artful Badger said...

I am coming week after next. 18th to 26th types.