Thursday, March 16, 2006

The fortnight gone by....

In Retro Mode...
I watched "To kill a mocking bird" and it was simply the most b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l movie I've seen in ages. I wish I'd read the novel earlier, because I know I won't read it now. I also watched "The King and I" - the original 60s movie, not the 90s remake - but I didn't enjoy it much; I guess I've simply outgrown such movies. It was too artificial.

I realized something else I've outgrown - surprisingly, Jules Verne. I remember enjoying "Journey to the Center of the Earth" when I was a kid; but when I read "From the Earth to the Moon" and "All around the moon" last week, I got tired of Verne's didactic tone, even if I forgave him for getting things wrong. It's a work of fiction after all.

I did like Robert Heinlein's "Stranger in a strange land", though I think he would have done better to end the book 75 pages earlier than he did. This was my first Heinlein novel and I like his style of dwelling on the human aspect of his story, rather than the "action". Puts me in the frame of mind of one of my favourite contemporary science fiction authors, Ursula Le Guin.

The Callous Youth...
I seem to have developed a knack for landing up at the public library and picking up a truckload of novels just before some exam. Each time I do that, I make it a point to sigh and tell the girl at the counter, "There goes my exam tomorrow..."

I don't even feel guilty. I know I can't study more than a few hours for an exam anyway, if I study at all. Why not spend that time reading a book rather than waste it in watching television?

The Idiot Box...
Television is one of the Prime Evils in the world, after Diablo, Mephisto and Baal. I never had a complaint against any of my roommates, even when they kept messing up the kitchen without cleaning it, until they started ridiculing my favourite shows like Smallville and Star Trek. Grrrr. I don't blame it on them; I have a new policy, if there is blame, blame it on the TV set or the Weatherman.

What's in a name, anyway?
I'm at the bridge table introducing myself to a lady I haven't played against so far. She has difficulty pronouncing my name and asks me again how to say it. "Croissant, but with a P," offers my partner helpfully. Boy, I had a good laugh! I didn't bother correcting anyone, though. They would only pronounce it worse.

Speaking of names, I owe an apology to the authors Robin Hobb, for thinking she was a man, and Tracy Hickman, for thinking he was a woman. Man, I still have trouble with these American names. But they, naturally, have more trouble with the Indian names. Why else would I meet a man with a perfectly good Tamil name like "Odaiperumal Periyakaruppan", who shortened it to "Odai Peri"? Or a "Shanmuganathan Gnanasambandam" who calls himself "Nathan"? Or a "Sankaravadivelu Viruthachalam" reduced to "Sanky"?

Is the shrink in?
My friend read my last post and asked not too politely if I needed a shrink. Oh well, in retrospect I guess I did go off the wire, but it seemed to make perfect sense at the time. This is when a normal person would say, "I need a vacation". Except that I wrote that post just after Spring break. So I say, "Give me some work, I need my sanity back." And the profs were kind and gave me two mid semester exams and one assignment and three project deadlines for the week.

Cheers,
Prashanth.

13 comments:

Artful Badger said...

You seem to have picked up my habit of writing random extracts from daily life...
Easy to write...fun to read..

Artful Badger said...

[intern] there are? the day looks good here. winter seems to have gone.

Artful Badger said...

I haven't seen the movie but I have read the book. Isn't it the one about the racial law case?

Prashanth said...

Kaushik,
Smallville, seriously. I think I have a crush on Allison Mack.

And I may need a shrink but you need a humour therapist >:P

Intern,
Spring break's over, I've been having classes since Monday.

Of course you're evil ;) all women are, you know!

We had snow yesterday as well, but the weather report says it's going to get warmer from now.

Ramani,
Yes, there is a trial of a black man that takes up a good part of the movie, but the story is more about children growing up than the case.

Artful Badger said...

Heh..yeah my name is mistaken for a girl..
not too hard to do actually..

Kirthi said...

Hmm ppl in the west do find Indian names hard to pronounce. My landlord rechristened me as "katie". It was only when he saw my signature and name on the check that he realized how I spell my name. I gave up correcting them because it gets only worse. Croissant with a P...where do they serve this? But seriously SP do they still have such one mile long names nowadays? I was like rotflol when I tried to pronounce those names on ur post.

Prashanth said...

Kirthi,
Its true... Odai Peri owns a grocery store in Sunnyvale, CA; Nathan is doing his PhD in my department; Sankar was my brother's roommate in UMR, now happily ensconced back in chennai.

People do not serve Croissant-with-a-P, you serve Him. Bow to me!!

Kirthi said...

Clap Clap!! Good one.

Anonymous said...

"Croissant, but with a P.....oh! pacha....i too am rotflol...seriously i fell of my chair and people at work are looking at me strangely.

12 angry men is indeed an excellent movie. i have seen both the b/w and the color version. but its been a while since i have seen a good english movie. married life and good english movies dont go together :(

u should think abt shortening ur name to pacha...if its good enuff for me, its good enuff for americans.

if u havent seen this video, u should....it kinda reminded me of this name shortening.
http://www.youtube.com/watch.php?v=JjvzQm4bJ8s

Sankar said...

Pacha,
You are wrong. My shortened name "Sanky" is just among friends who call me by that name and that too the name wasn't coined by me. Someone started calling me by that name and everyone started using it and I didn't have a problem with it.

Officially, now and even while is US, I introduced myself as "Sankar" and that's what everyone called me. Even when people started to attempt to pronounce my name, I would interrupt and say that I go by "Sankar". It would save a lot of time for both of us... )

Maybe as peps suggested, you should go by "Pacha". You can always mention ur full name when introducing urself and before they get shocked, you can say that you go by "Pacha".

I had a great experience with my name over there. Some even said that this is the longest name they have come across. Welcome to the club.

Prashanth said...

Anna,
I promise we'll go watch tons of english movies when I come back :)

Pacha is reserved for people who know me very well, SP for people who know me somewhat well or very well; the rest of the world will just have to call me Prashanth.

Sankar,
Oh... well I thought the Americans called you Sanky because it was hard to pronounce your name. Anyway, my point still stands, and that is no American could ever pronounce your full name correctly!

Prashanth said...

LOL Intern... you can call me by any monosyllabled or hundred syllabled word you wish, you don't come under that "rest of the world" category!

Deepti Ravi said...

Read the book.. not seen the movie!! You miss a lot in not reading it .. atleast for the language... its beautiful!!