Thursday, March 30, 2006

...and finally spring arrives!

After four long months of subzero temperatures, spring has decided to show its face. Today, for the first time since I landed here in August, I was able to step out in the open without a jacket or even a sweater. Sunshine, glorious sunshine! I let the warm soak into me as I marvelled at how the grass looks greener when the sun is brighter. People who've never seen snow in their lives might ask what is the big deal about sunshine. I say, come here for a winter and ask again!

But spring is here in more ways than just the weather. The paperwork for my assistantship has finally been processed, and I'm typing this out from the computer and the desk that is going to be mine for the next 3-4 years. I'm now officially a Research Assistant, a respectable, gainfully employed student. I get a tuition waiver and a stipend, and I have to work hard to earn that. Which means it might be harder to keep a straight face to my roommates when they ask me, "How come I always see you reading a novel? Don't you have any work?" and I reply, "Of course I do. This is like dessert, there's always room for it!"

Now that I can worry less about money, it feels like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders. The less money you have, the more you appreciate its worth! I don't have to feel too guilty about eating out, or going to the nearer-but-more-expensive store, or upgrading my computer for non-essential purposes (read gaming), etcetera etcetera.

Even better than money is comradeship. There are a couple of people in my lab from my college, and not only are they very helpful and companionable, I feel almost at home with the occasional statement thrown in in Tamil or Telugu, or comment on some mutual IITian acquaintance, and so on. I have lunch with them everyday now. I'm sure the other people in the lab are equally nice, and I'll get to know them as time goes on. It sure beats sitting in the common computer lab surrounded by noisy undergrads and unable to concentrate on my work.

My advisor is - in a word - AWESOME. I asked him what work I had to start with, and he said, "Talk to the others in the lab regarding their research, and see if you find anything interesting." I asked him what time I'm expected to come to the lab everyday, and he said, "Whenever you wish." When I ask him a technical question, his breadth and depth of knowledge leaves me feeling like a chicken in a lion's pride. And he never gets annoyed by all the foolish things I ask or do.

I've also gotten used to my roommates and feel comfortable in their company, and I'm fine with the arrangements in regard to cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc. In other words, it feels as though my life in the US is truly beginning only now.

The trees have leaves and the plants have flowers. Spring is here, and the smile on my face is back. It's genuine, and I'll give it to you often. Say cheese!

Cheers,
Prashanth.

13 comments:

Artful Badger said...

yes spring has arrived..
it was the warm sunny day in a while!!

Artful Badger said...

You seem to have got nicely settled in..

alraqs said...

so much fun to see everyone's spirits roaring up once the weather changes :)..cheers to your new beginning!!...

Primalsoup said...

The less money you have, the more you appreciate its worth? Very profound and true! :)
A seaxon change to lift spirits? Hnmmm, I must consider moving to another city now!

Divster said...

wanna be a hero???

Come and solve James Bond's problem!

(in my blog)

Sundeep said...

Congrats on having secured the assistantship!! here's to a few years of productive research work from you ;)

Prashanth said...

Thank ye all!

Anonymous said...

SP ~ i guess all the spring air circulating in the apt must have made u sleepy?

and why are you sitting and watching Punk'd when you can be sitting crouched over a computer solving the next big problem??

Prashanth said...

Nag,
Yes, I ought be doing my research. Or at least my course projects. But if I always did what I ought to be doing, I would be in the Massachussetts Institute of Technology instead of Penn State!

Artful Badger said...

I hear MIT is quite a boring place. Too much work and too studius people ;)...

Anonymous said...

now SP, you wouldn't like being with boring people, would u?

Prashanth said...

Boring is never a criterion for such things... its that indefinable sense of comfort. Most people find me boring anyway!

Deepti Ravi said...

congrats on the assistantship!! :) summer is here...and killing me.. I feel like i'm going to melt like an icecream some time soon!!! and agni nakshatram is yet to begin!!! :( :( :(