Sunday, March 04, 2007

Writing an epic fantasy

After nearly a week of lying sick in bed, my body seems to have rallied enough for me to have the energy to sit and type out this post.

Being sick is actually a good time to think. For while the body may be too tired to even head to the kitchen for a drink of water, the mind has enough active time to give thought to things you may otherwise sweep under the carpet of day-to-day work and worries.

And so, I thought about what I want to do with my life. I'm sure all of you have asked yourselves this question before - and so have I - but this time I gave it plenty of thought and I set some actual goals.

GOAL #1: Write an epic fantasy

Most, or all, of you reading this will be familiar with my obsession with fantasy fiction. Well, I have finally reached a stage wherein I have read so many authors and books in this genre that I could write a thesis on it. I have always wanted to write in this genre myself, as a result of which I have sometimes inflicted some of my short stories on you poor readers. Fortunately or unfortunately, the years have passed and the goal still remains. Some day, I will write and publish an epic fantasy series. The road is very long - as I learnt to my chagrin when I inflicted some of my short stories on you readers - but I still intend to make a serious attempt. Even if it takes decades.

GOAL #2: Be a champion for my country

These past four years, I have surprised myself with my hunger to learn more at the game of Bridge. Already, I can participate at the national level and not embarrass myself. In ten years, I might even be able to win something at that level. Now, India is not a country that can compete well at the international level at athletic-type events; our physiques are meant for farming, not hunting. But our brains have always been top-class. Viswanathan Anand is a world-class champion. I definitely feel we can be winners in the international arena in Bridge as well. Why wait for champions to arise? Aim to become one! (Edit: Took me a re-read to realize how arrogant that sounded. But hey, I mean every word of it!)


The rest of my goals are a bit confused. Academically, I want to be a scientist... in what field, I still don't know. I have some vague plans for my family business - we are well placed to expand our business and take a sizeable chunk of the market in South India. I have even vaguer plans to give something back to society in the form of education. Start a university? Or, more realistically, become a professor at an IIT?

Upon reading this, one might say that I must be unhappy with my work to have all my set goals only in my extracurricular activities. But that is not the case at all. I love research. Its just that some goals will become clearer with time.

Planning one's life is harder than planning than epic fantasy, after all - for you have to be realistic.

3 comments:

Vc said...

Sp are you alright ?? Light save you..

and i want to be the first to read your book... psst here's the advance 10$...i want the first published book...go on..i'm waiting..

Artful Badger said...

Yup. I totally agree with you reality sucks.
Writing a book would be fun but I guess like anything else its so competitive that you need to work hard and come up with something that really stands out.
I hear Anshumani was writing one. I saw him perform in the 5 point someone play in January. It was ok. Interesting in the beginning but just dragged towards the end.

Prashanth said...

Vc,
You will have to wait 10 years at least.

Badger,
I heard he wanted to get into acting and writing full time. I think he will do well.