Sunday, November 25, 2007

Atra du evarinya ono varda

(Means, "May the stars watch over you")

I just finished reading Christopher Paolini's books Eragon and Eldest, and I was pleasantly surprised by their quality. For those of you who don't know what I am talking about, Eragon is a fantasy fiction book that Paolini started writing when he was 15 and got published when he was 19, and became a bestseller. It was made into a movie earlier this year, which unfortunately was not very good. I watched the movie the week it was released, and combined with that and the fact that Eragon was in the Children's section at the public library here, I was not very enthusiastic about reading it.

But I was wrong. The series is quite interesting thus far, with few of the flaws you would expect from a young writer. The characters are well fleshed out, the hero is very human and makes mistakes, and Paolini has created a whole new language complete with grammar and syntax. This language is spoken by the race of the elves, and one cannot lie when speaking it; it is also the language used for structuring and casting magical spells. However, the story is a little predictable and there are a few logical inconsistencies; still, they do not detract much from the enjoyment of the tale. I highly recommend the book for fantasy fans in the teen and young adult age group, if you are older of course I have better fantasy writers to suggest :)

Paolini is a few months younger than me and the third book of the series is scheduled to be released in Sep 2008.

Eka fricai un Shur'tugal (I am a friend and a Dragonrider)
Prashanth.

5 comments:

Ramya Ramadurai said...

Drifted over from BaL's blog. Must say, you have found yourself a brand new fan. Good work, keep it going! :)

Prashanth said...

Rr,
Okay, now I am really confused! The past few posts on my blog have been soooo morose it was getting on my own nerves! Come back in a month, my blog will really rock then :P

Sakshi said...

I agree about the books. I had read the books before I watched the movie and was really disappointed. Paolini is promising. I am looking forward to the last one.

Ramya Ramadurai said...

Haha, no worries, I did dig into the archives, and I found some neat stuff there! :D

Anonymous said...

HELLLLLLLLLLLO !! and NOW HE READS IT ...
<(echo)>

uffffffffffffff and hello again he wrote it when he was 14 !! duh..the second book could have been better too lengthy...sigh*