Thursday, November 29, 2007

Try These....

Movie: American Gangster
I watched a few of the new movies this month but they aren't very good, except for this one. Denzel Washington is brilliant in it. When he says "My man" you feel like smiling, and at the same time chilled to the bone.

Television: Chuck (NBC)
This is a must-watch serial for geeks. Chuck is a lovable, innocent, geeky bloke who fixes computers at Nerd Herd for a living. One day he receives an email from his old college pal and when he opens it, there is a short puzzle in the form of a scene from one of those old text-based computer games (which is very good protection, if you think about it :) ). And when Chuck solves it, he is sent into trance by a flood of images... hours later, the images stop, he faints, the computer crashes... and when he wakes up, he has all the secrets of the CIA and the NSA in his head. The two agencies want to kill him... except, the facility from which those secrets were stolen was one of a kind, and was destroyed. So they have no choice but to use him, and Chuck is forced to do spy-type stuff. Cool idea na? There are some really hilarious parts, like when Chuck is forced to prove his identity by speaking in Klingon. Five stars from me any day.

Books: Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Steven Erikson
I've read so many fantasy series that I can't keep count, but the only really good author that I feel like recommending (other than my perennial favourite Raymond Feist) is this guy. The series is not for the faint of heart, though. You get pulled into a rich, complex fantasy realm and an epic struggle, and Erikson doesn't try to explain things, you understand more about the land as you read more. Which is just the way I like it.


Cheers,
Prashanth.

6 comments:

Sakshi said...

Hmm.
I thought American Gangster dragged. Needed a tighter script. But Washington is awesome :)

Prashanth said...

True, but in comparison to the other new movies, this was the only good one...

Ramya Ramadurai said...

American Gangster was good only because of Washington. I expected better from Scott.

B said...

I still need to watch these new movies. I saw Howards End last night on dvd and liked it.

Born a Libran said...

I like the idea of this Chuck thingie... Sounds like a plot from a comedy spy movie actually...

Anonymous said...

My man :) OMG ..that was what i felt too...chillling...