Thursday, February 21, 2008

Lucky numbers and Horrorscopes

Yesterday I overheard a rather strange conversation between my Mom and the cook. It went something like:

Mom: The registration number for the new car is a nine, I am so happy.
Cook: That's great! Nine is a wonderful number! I was lucky enough to get a bank account number that was a nine!

Now, I knew that the license plate for the new car read "7434" so I was wondering where the nine came from. And how a bank account number could be a single digit number for that matter. It took me a moment to figure out that they were talking numerology. Here's how it works:

7+4+3+4 = 18
1+8 = 9

Thus, our car is a "nine", which apparently is a good thing. Don't ask me why.

Most of time, my brother and I manage to steer clear of any conversations that have anything to do with such superstition. But my brother found himself outmaneuvered at the time of naming his son. Numerology applies to names as well... I wonder, do they count 'A' as '1' and 'Z' as '26' and add them up? Never mind. Essentially my brother was told to add an extra 'A' and an 'H' to his son's name. Fortunately, "Thaarak" is phonetically more or less correct so it won't look too ridiculous on his notebooks. That, of course, didn't prevent the rejoinder from my brother, "You didn't check the numerology when naming me or Prashanth, and see, we turned out alright!" Did I hear a "Not really" from my Dad under his breath? Must have imagined it ;)

The most important issue where such beliefs ought to to loggerheads of course is that of marriage. But most wisely, my brother and I know to keep our mouths shut on that. The word "Horoscope" normally makes you think of your daily zodiac horoscope, but for people of marriageable age it can only refer to what I've come to think of as the "Horrorscope", that one they match for the bride and the groom to check if they are "compatible". Never mind that I think it is ridiculous to believe that a guy with a particular "dosha" has very particular requirements of the bride's horrorscope else the girl's new mother-in-law will die (my cousin was unfortunate enough to have that dosha). And similar stuff. See, I have been assured that my horrorscope won't be pulled out for another year (due to astrological reasons) so why should I complain!

Cheers
Prashanth.

6 comments:

Ramya Ramadurai said...

lol, i wouldn't mind having your cousin's dosha, seeing as i hate my would-be mother in law already!!(hope she NEVER sees this :S)

Sankar said...

nice one pacha... :) you can enjoy another year of bachelorhood, thanks to your horrorscope.

And didn't know that peps was pulled into the numerology thing when he was naming the kid.

sushama said...

hahhaa..good one P...I remember my dad talking about how NTR(assuming u know him!) had all his car/home blah number adding upto or having 9 and amma actually had her first 2 wheeler number add up to 9..god know what significance it has/had!! little do I kniw , little do i care!

Anonymous said...

Zomb, changes and so many of them at that. Going to India, becoming an uncle, Bridge Nationals... bloody hell!

Crack its the Bridge scene machi, will be hajaar cool to then say "Both Sharath Kamal and Prashanth Sriram were my classmates" ;-)

Btw, the biggest twist I still find about the Badrinath's is that the they have a cook at home for their day-to-day eatings!!!

- Ranga

Prashanth said...

Galadriel,
Consider yourself lucky that your horrorscope was not analyzed!

Sanky,
Inescapable, my friend, inescapable :)

Sushama,
I just came back from a torturous telugu movie with my grandmother... pls don't talk about gult actors for a while (until I recuperate!) and certainly not NTR!!

Ranga,
Haha, well, call them twists of fate. Certainly life has held way too many twists for me this past year! Let me know when you next land in Chennai.

Anonymous said...

So your name..3+7 *log 93 and taking the Fourier Tranform of P and S and Integrating it partially, with the limit set to sin38 ...wait a minute ?? 0 ?? ZERO ?? how can i get 0 ??