Wednesday, March 12, 2008

42

(If you haven't read Douglas Adams, you may not understand this post)

Recently, my Dad shifted our cell phones to one of those "family" schemes with four lines. That is, we were all getting new phone numbers, and we could talk to each other on those lines for an unlimited amount of time. Great, nah? Now, even when I am not at home, my parents can call me at any time and talk to me for however long they want. Sigh.

So, my Dad told me what my Mom's new phone number would be, adding, "You can see, her number ends with 44..."

At this point I got a deep sense of foreboding.

"... mine is the same, except it ends with 43..."

And I knew what was coming next.

"...and yours is 42."

42. The answer to life, the universe and everything. This has got to be some kind of a sign, a message, from God. I wonder what the message is.

Probably, "SORRY FOR THE INCONVENIENCE."

Cheers
Prashanth.

5 comments:

Ramya Ramadurai said...

Maybe you need to start carrying your towel. :)

Sankar said...

Pacha,
I haven't read Douglas Adams and I don't understand the significance of 42... Can it be explained in a few words?

Prashanth said...

Galadriel,
Or I could set up "DONT PANIC" as my desktop wallpaper :)

Sankar,
Er... you have to read the book... but the gist of it is, "What is six times seven?" "Forty Two".

Vc said...

but three times 14 is also 42 and yep its a sign...the winds of change...oh great you have an AC ///shakes his head//

Artful Badger said...

Quite the co-incidence.