Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Speechless

My Grandmother startled me the other day with an announcement.

Grandma: I've found the perfect girl to be your wife. She's slim, fair and pretty, lives in Chennai, and her family has crores and crores of money.

Knowing my Grandmother, if the family is as rich as she claims, the meanings of the words "slim" "fair" and "pretty" are quite flexible. But I digress.

Me: Grandma! I told you already, I'm just 24 years old, I don't want to get married for another year, minimum!

Grandma: So marry her after a year.

Now, if my Grandmother gets fixated on a topic, the only way to shut her up is to let her talk and pretend to listen.

Me: (sigh) What does she do?

Grandma: She is studying B.Com.

Me: Oh, so she is finishing her studies only this May?

Grandma: Er... not quite.

Me: Grandma! How old is she?

Grandma: Seventeen.

Leaving me speechless and my Mom struggling to control her laughter.

Welcome to my life.

(This is apparently my 200th post. I feel old.)

Cheers
Prashanth.

9 comments:

Ramya Ramadurai said...

ROTFL! Good luck with not being married for another year. From the looks of it, it's gonna be a challenge handling your grandma. :D

Ramya Ramadurai said...

P.S: Congratulations on your 200th post. 'Life begins here' does not seem like an appropriate thing to say. :)

Sakshi said...

Well.. since the girl is 17.. you will have to wait for another year. :D

Vc said...

Uhahahhahahhahaa child marriage is still popular in India...uahahhahahaaahaaa wait till i tell Kk ..uahahhahaaaahaha..

GRS86 said...

LOL.
You have left us all speechless too!
(not the 200 posts part :P)

Artful Badger said...

17!! Thats a problem you need to deal with. Once you are at home or close to parents, the topic of marriage becomes a frequently mentioned topic.
I guess she still thinks its 1945. :)...

Artful Badger said...

And congratulations on your 200th post. Wish I posted as often. Have been blogging very sporadicaly in recent times...

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your 200th post!

I am keeping too busy to psarticipate in the blogging world these days!

Prashanth said...

Artful,
Long time! Yeah, I have been dropping by your blog but noticed there isn't much new... well drop me an email or chat sometime...

Intern,
Busy is good :) We will catch up soon when you are less busy