Friday, May 27, 2005

The Paper Champions

I've just returned from the 1st Junior National Bridge Tournament (held in Hyderabad), and the experience has given me a lot to think about... and not just in terms of bridge!

I've never been a person to attach much importance to winning or losing. I've always contended that when you take part in some contest or sport, it's the experience and the knowledge that you take back with you that really counts. Sure, I feel bad when I lose and good when I win... thats a natural but temporary feeling, and all too human. A simple guideline to follow: at the end of the game, think about what you've gained that's important. The answers would surprise you.

I participate in a lot of stuff (though not much of sports), and my objective is usually to learn and have fun while doing so. I pity the people who get caught up in the cut throat competition that is prevalent at the high echelons of any sport, and dedicate their lives to pushing themselves that extra bit that makes the difference between winning and losing. Personally I feel that the fun in playing gets lost after a certain point. Just think about the tactics that people employ in any sport at the international level. I wouldn't dream of bowling a leg stump line with a leg side field in a friendly cricket match.

I guess some people can't help it. For some, it's their means of livelihood. For some, it's like a lifelong addiction, and it comes with a price to pay when you're near the top. Whatever the reasons may be, I know that some are beyond redemption. But for the others, what they really need is just a change in attitude. A little shift in thinking that will change their lives: Play to have fun. Play to teach, and to learn. Reality may force you to do otherwise at some level of the game. When that happens, step down a rung. It's for your own good.

I thought about what really motivates people to play in that ultra-competitive manner. The commercialization of sport these days is one thing. But how does it all start? I think it all starts the moment one says, "I want to be the best." You climb the ladder, go from city level to national level slowly. All the time, you are so happy that you won, and proved yourself the better of others. Ask me, and I say that you are champion all right, but only a champion on paper. The real champions in the world distinguish themselves by their courage, and their selfless actions, which makes a difference to other people. They are champions of the heart. If your aim in life is just to beat somebody at something, you better step back and think about how hollow your existance is.

What does any of this have to do with the bridge tournament? Nothing actually. Just a triggered chain of thought. I'm going to keep at bridge, but for the right reasons: I enjoy it. And I want to learn more.

Cheers,
Prashanth.

9 comments:

Vc said...

SP , did you win ,Not that it matters, but still.... and what did you learn ?

Prashanth said...

I finished exactly middle in both events. As for what I learnt... hard to explain to a bridge newbie... I learnt a lot about psychic bidding and more about when to pass for penalties and when to overcall the opponent's bid.

Tipsy Topsy said...

excellent attitude.

karmani av adhikarastu, na phaleshu kadachan....

Prashanth said...

@ Tipsy

There you go again! "Do your duty, without thought of the reward..." Yet again, you've stumped me for the connection. Tipsy, you must realize that not all of us are capable of your gigantic leaps of thought...

Tipsy Topsy said...

winning or losing is the result or the reward. the experience and the knowledge while playing bridge is the karma. so do the latter and don't think of the former. that's all :(

Prashanth said...

Sorry Tipsy... don't put on such a sad face :).

Thanks for explaining your comment on my previous post.. me the bulbus finally got it. But as for this one, I think your analogy is wrong... "Karmani eva adhikarasthe, ma phaleshu kadachana" is for telling people to not work for the sake of a reward, but because it is your duty. My philosophy here is just to say that the result of your participation in a contest is not important in the binary sense... the path teaches you, the destination does not.

Tipsy Topsy said...

It says to act without thinking of reward.

two things.

First,Karma is Action not Work. Work seems to refer to ur profession/ studies , etc. that is not the only thing that the sloka refers to. Action is a broader term. ur playing the tournament is Action not Work.

Second, When u say work or act becuase it is ur duty, it again sounds tedious.

However, u may be correct that the analogy is inaccurate if the "learning" bit is where ur emphasis is. Though again, it is emphasising the importance of the act rather than the goal.

hehe. sorry for all this gibberish :)

Prashanth said...

All comments appreciated :). After all, what's the blog for?

Tipsy Topsy said...

comments are only the result..the post is the karma...

(so, the blog isn't for comments....)

*yes, u have every right to think of murdering me*