Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Change

While browsing the wealth of books at the public library, I came across, by chance, upon a series of three novels by Roger MacBride Allen which are sequels to the Star Wars storyline, set about 14 years after Episode 6. I was highly amused to find them, because about 7 years ago, I had read the first two and I loved them, but never could find the third, concluding novel. So, I took all three books and read them, so that I could refresh my memory of the first two novels before reading the third.

I was infinitely more amused to discover that I now find these books fairly childish. They were good, make no mistake, but clearly meant for kids in their early or mid teens. Amusement gave way to no small degree of discomfiture on realizing that this means that I've grown up. More than the fact that I'm living with roommates a million miles away from family, more than the fact that I have a Bachelor's and a Master's degree and am working through a Doctorate, more than the fact that I've celebrated four birthdays after my eighteenth, this realization struck much farther, much deeper.

I am now a responsible adult. It's so eminently laughable that all my cousins and old friends will be rolling on the ground and clutching their stomachs in laughter if they heard me make that statement as a flat out, matter of fact statement.

Of all things to bring the realization home, it had to be a novel. Perhaps I am as incorrigible as people say.

In what other ways have I changed from the 15 year old kid who read the Star Wars novel and thought, "Whoa! This is cool!"? Perhaps I am a lot less naive. Perhaps I've gotten over my shyness and unwillingness to talk to unfamiliar people. Perhaps I now consider academic performance as a smaller priority in comparison other areas of self-improvement. Perhaps I've found some new hobbies. Perhaps I now carry the subtle influences of my friends over the years, that have changed my outlook towards life in more ways than one. Perhaps I now know more truly the meaning of love, of compassion, of fear, of anguish. Perhaps I have gained confidence in some ways, and lost confidence, in other ways.

But at the core, am I not the same? Am I still not naive by the world's standards? Am I still not the kid who delights in poems and fantastic stories, in creative weavings of words and tales? Do I still not hold the same principles and scruples that guide my life, the simple guidelines of "Be nice. Be good. After all, that is how you would like others to be."?

I asked myself these questions once before, when I came out of a difficult time in a relationship. For in my pride, I believed that one place where the old me could never go wrong was in friendship. Hence I kept trying to figure out how I'd changed, that I could bring pain to a dear friend.

But now I know the answer to that question. I have changed on the surface, but I am still me. The one thing I do not have is an identity crisis. I know who and what I am. Things go wrong, and it may or may not be my fault, but in intent, I cannot go wrong. I learnt to forgive others long ago, for the most despicable of actions, for the most grievous of sins, for I believe in giving another chance for any person to become better. What I've learnt now is that I should learn to forgive myself, for I have trust in myself. The key to improving things is not a guilty conscience but a free one.

I think I can finally lay old demons to rest and walk with a lighter step.

Cheers,
Prashanth.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

O boy, how I am failing to find the right metaphor to describe this metamorphosis ...
- which princess kissed this croaking frog to make him a prince (BAD analogy!!!)
- hmmm .. how did this ugly duckling turn into a beautiful swan ( eeks WORSE)
- hmmm ... hmmm.... so did you morph from larva to pupa to butterfly ( arghhh WORST !!!!)
Now that was my stupid ....

Well, I do see the *CHANGE* ...

It is said we "GROW-UP" the day we can laugh at ourself ... and we truly "MATURE" if we can share with others our bloopers, follies n eccentricities ... and... we are fit-to-face-the-world, when we realize ... People are essentially Stupid !!!

- Intern
" To exist is to change; to change is to mature; to mature is to create oneself endlessly"

Prashanth said...

Intern,
There is a message in this for you as well. Hope you found it. And stop saying people are stupid or you might receive a generous dose of pattars from Kirthi, even if she is younger than you!

Anonymous said...

Prashath,
I got a whiff of it (that inbetween there's something for me), but wasnt too sure; not that you've categorically stated, I'm certain too!!! Well that touches a nerve in such a way that words fail me ...

btw, was thinking; this L-O-N-G post was to assert that its your Blog and my lengthy comments cant beat you at it *here* (teasing !!!)

I reiterate, I find this Wizards First Rule curiously intriguing. Now to perceieve threats from imaginary reaction of people who cant reach me; would reinforce this notion!! Guess what... now even HOH has "acceded to the notion that people are indeed stupid" Check out his Blog ... you'll be up for a pleasant surprize ... he's back...
Well Kirthi, I *respect* difference of opinion ... so relax !!! But then, that wont stop me from expressing my own...

- Intern

btw I donno how I posted this message at HOH's blog.....
APOLOGY to both of you.

Artful Badger said...

When you go to college, you loko back at how you were in school. When you go to grad school you look back at how you were in college. When you are 75 you will reminisce on how you were when you were 60.

Artful Badger said...

WHo's HOH?

Prashanth said...

HoH is http://handfulofhell.blogspot.com - a blog pal who temporarily stopped blogging for his own reasons. Now he's back.

You missed the whole point of this post, Ramani. This wasn't about reminiscing, it's about a train of thought that ended up in taking an old load off my shoulders.

Artful Badger said...

Hmm..yeah kind off...but what i kind of meant was..as time passes..you kind of look at things with a softer focus..

Anonymous said...

Hey Prashant..

I now feel like Colombus slowly excavating one blog to another.. placing my thoughts one by one. (Smiles)

U kno.. da best part abt havin a blog is tat u learn more from it than others. Perhaps ur post here just illustrates it further.

As a child we think "i kno who i am"
As a teenager we think "is this wat i am?"
As a young adult we think.."i dont know who i am"
As a mature person we think "I accept who i am"

Overall enjoyed seeing the final stage's evidence a bit in u in this post. Nice...Wishin u da best(thumbs up)

-divster

Anonymous said...

"lay old demons to rest .."

That makes u an exorcist!
Did I hear you're wizard too?

- myrrh

Prashanth said...

Divya,
Thank You! How true are your words... I learn more from my own blog and my own thoughts than those of others!

Myrrh,
I am just a humble collector of tales.

Anonymous said...

SP ~ I don't know why you want to resist change.. As I look at it, this is a rather conscious effort to not change.. to have a constant perception of one's identity.. perhaps the key lies in *going with the flow* i.e. perhaps you should reconcile with the fact that you are now (in your words) a *responsible adult*.

Prashanth said...

Well put, Nag. Perhaps I am resisting the flow, but it is definitely unconscious. Still, I think this new life has forced enough changes on me already, so perhaps it is not such a bad thing after all!

Divster said...

They say.."The only thing constant in life is Change;what does not change.. cease to exist."

-Divster

Prashanth said...

Aha... beneath the blushes and the giggles of this Divster lies a philosophizer at heart! Good, good.