Sunday, January 01, 2006

Armour for the Heart

Till the age of sixteen or so, I was quite a pessimistic and cynical kid. Since then, over the years, that attitude has changed. With my own example held up against my eyes, I recognize pessimism in others for not a reflection of a callous heart, but as armour for a sensitive one.

Life is always with its crests and troughs. But when you wall out one, you are also walling out the other. I've come to realize that the things that can bring you the most joy and happiness are the ones that can bring you the most pain and sorrow. I consider it as more than a fair trade. I don't regret any decision I've ever made, because I know that I risked the pain for the chance at joy; perhaps unknowingly at that point of time.

Yet, without that armour, this heart is quick to despair. But every time a stranger wishes me a merry christmas or a happy new year, my well of hope fills up that little bit. Every time an acquaintance gives me a smile in passing, my well of optimism fills up that little bit. Every time a friend offers a word of comfort or wishes me luck, my well of strength fills up that little bit. Every time a loved one gives me a reassuring touch - something which I sorely miss here - the despair evaporates that little bit.

I always try to return that smile or wish, even if I don't always voice my thanks.

Perhaps I am being melodramatic; but I mean every word. Wish you all a happy new year, and may your well of optimism ever stay full.

Cheers,
Prashanth.

8 comments:

Prashanth said...

Kaushik,
Amen to that!

Intern,
That was quite incoherent but beautiful just the same :)
Thanks and good luck!

Artful Badger said...

happy new year to you as well...

Vc said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Vc said...

Dude, Looking forward to reading more of your thought provoking posts this year,..( I believe Kk is giggling ..ignore her )

Sundeep said...

Here's my small contribution to your well of hope and strength. Hope you have a great year ahead. Keep writing!!

Prashanth said...

Thanks all.

Intern,
Sorry, can't help you there :) I'm hardly the type to expend the effort to find out such things!

Kirthi said...

SP,
Hope you keep the buoyant mood throughout the year and quit biting innocent people's heads off.

Prashanth said...

:-O me? Biting people's heads off? (puts on innocent expression)