Monday, January 09, 2006

A Year!

Thats how long ago I started this blog. Apparently my first post was on January 8th 2005.

I think I started it out as a vent for my need to write. Reading and writing are two things which I absolutely have to keep doing or I'll go mad. Both are so easy to forget in the scramble of college life. I was late to the world of blogging, but once I found it I realized that it gives me an easy way to continue those two things... and best of all, nothing ever has to makes sense! In fact, I started by talking about some of my weird theories, which some people actually mistook for wisdom. Over time, I guess it developed into some kind of a personal diary. With limits.

One of the nice things about blogging for me is getting to read about how other people think. For one as reserved as me in real life, it is extremely interesting and rewarding to read the outpourings of other hearts. People are so different, yet at some level they are much the same. Quite a paradox!

But the best thing about my blogging experience is making friends across the barriers of age, sex, distance, mother tongue, etc. All things in life are ephemeral... yet somehow I get the feeling that these "insubstantial" friends I've made - people I've never met and may never meet; people with whom I communicate mostly via electronic text in some form - are probably going to be more permanent than many of the friendships I cultivated in the past and for some unknown reason, left behind. I salute you guys and girls... you've made my life more bearable these past few months.

I never put up a hit counter on my blog for fear that if I find out how many people actually read it, it might make me wary about what I write. And I don't want to care what I write on this blog. Many people have already said that they don't understand what I'm trying to say, and often from the comments I've gleaned that many more who don't say it still don't understand much of what I write. Well, the truth is I myself don't understand a lot of it, but I don't care and I don't want to care.

Anyway, whether the number of people reading this blog is ten or a thousand, I just want to say thank you... am not even sure why I'm thanking you, but thank you all the same.

Cheers,
Prashanth.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats dude !! .. By the way what is this all about ?/

"Many people have already said that they don't understand what I'm trying to say, and often from the comments I've gleaned that many more who don't say it still don't understand much of what I write. "

couldn't fathom what you were trying to say :) ....

As always
Confused Vee

Deepti Ravi said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Deepti Ravi said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! :)
Happy Anniversery!! Here's to more that come!!!! :) :) :)

Artful Badger said...

hmm...:D..

Artful Badger said...

I regret putting a hit counter..
You tend to keep checking it..
You feel good if lots of people read it..
And bad if they do not..
And you feel a whole lot more self conscious..

Anonymous said...

I missed my own blog birthday!! Nahiiiiin..
Anyway doesn't matter hope your blog continues to inspire people to write. Oh and yep I always managed to misinterpret what you wrote :)
You know what? Its quite weird that when I have all the time to write I have nothing inspiring to do it and when I have inspiration pouring in from everywhere I either don't have the means or the time to write. Life is so unfair!!

Prashanth said...

Intern,
Good to see you in high spirits!

Vee,
I was trying to talk like Bilbo on his eleventy first birthday.

Kaushik,
Ah yes, those poor souls. Since I sleep late and wake up very very late each day, I must be lacking in health, wealth and wisdom, right?

Deepti,
Hey, you still read my blog :) nice to see you again.

Ramani,
You planning to write a haiku on hit counters?

Kirthi,
I am a jobless bum with too much time on my hands, thats why I can still afford to play computer games and read novels and blog every other day. I guess not everyone has those simple luxuries!

Kirthi said...

OOooh That was very candid I must say: jobless bum!! Hmmm since when have you become so self deprecating. But boy are you lucky! The problem is I get the time on weekends but this library closes early and I am too lazy. So I am the cause of my own distress and I'll quit whining about it!

Artful Badger said...

Heh..
I didn't realize..
It came out that way..
Do you know what I mean..

Prashanth said...

Awww you messed up the syllable and line count again :P

Deepti Ravi said...

:) yup!! still do!! atleast whenever i can !! ;)