Monday, May 08, 2006

IITians: The People You Love To Hate

I've always maintained that the IITs appear to be populated by people of various extremes. Most of the people I've known at IIT seem to be way off the "Normal" mark, in behaviour and in attitude. I often wonder if we were that way when we entered the portals of the institute or whether the freedom and isolated existence that we enjoy there makes us that way. I suspect the answer is a bit of both.

The crux of the matter is that people do not understand us. We live for four years with our individuality respected, and are suddenly forced to reckon with society in force when we step out. Our words and actions are often misinterpreted. IITians have a reputation for being arrogant and egotistic. But half the time, it is only because people try to judge us by the wrong yardstick. Ultimately, the result is that people don't like to get close to IITians. Those who do, get burned, and it is nobody's fault; pretty soon, people learn not to touch us.

Understand that I am speaking in general terms here. IITians are, after all, human beings and get along fabulously with the rest of the world - sometimes. But some people who see us getting the high-paying jobs ask, "What makes that person better than me? It's just the brand name that's doing it!" Others acknowledge the presence of those superior skills and hold us in awe. And either way, people find it convenient to keep their distance from us; and we find it convenient to keep our distance from them. The IIT fame and brand name is professionally and academically a blessing; personally, it is a curse.

Our friend Smugbug sums it all up thus: People love to hate IITians. Why is it so few people have managed to make such a huge impact everywhere? We are praised for being such able torch bearers for India in countries like the US, impressing the world with our intelligence, hard work and dedication; but in the same breath, people utter some derogatory remark about brain drain and how much better off our country would be if we'd stayed. Every little issue that has anything to do with an IIT has to be bashed about in the press, and everybody has an opinion, even if 90% of them know nothing about what it means to be an IITian. And us fiercely independent and outspoken IITians have to respond, to something that concerns us, and the controversies and debates drag on until nobody can tell black from white any more.

The latest "IIT Controversy" is the new reservation policy being considered by the government. Personally, I feel like screaming that the people who did come in under the existing reservation scheme have struggled in the high-pressure environment far more than the others, and if only you'd been in an IIT you'd know about the depression and other psychological problems they go through. Just imagine the shattering blow to self-esteem a person would have if he had reason to think that he did not earn his position, but got it through something akin to charity; it's too good to give up, yet too hard to cope with. It's a living hell.

This is where an ordinary person gets affronted by my callousness and the arrogant presumption that some people are better than others. I am sorry, but some people indeed are better than others, and that is why it is best to have a purely merit-based system to determine who is good and who is not. Else, you are not only making life difficult for those who come through the reservation, you are blocking the opportunity for others who did earn their place.

And just when I though that this was the most obvious thing in the world to an IITian, I read this article written by a guy who was in my hostel, who I openly declare, is one of the biggest jerks I have ever met, and believe me when I tell you, I am a tolerant person. I acknowledge that the IIT-JEE is not perfect, but it is far better than other examination scheme we have in India. And what is wrong with a person getting through hard work and dedication rather than raw intelligence? The IIT credit system and testing system is not perfect, but pray tell me where is the comparison with, for instance, any of the local colleges in Chennai? I met a Mechanical Engineer once from a reputed college in Chennai - who had good grades, incidentally - and found out that he knew nothing about one topic because he knew he could "leave it in the choice" and little about another because he knew "which long answer was likely to come" on that topic and "mugged up that one alone". I stopped asking, for I recognized that I was embarrassing him unnecessarily, and had given him enough reason to hate me already. And for no real fault of mine.

It is true that many IITians join low paying software jobs, the same as a zillion other people in our country, but I know from first hand experience that most IITians doing research here in the US find themselves in a league of their own, making contributions that are anything but mediocre. If even an IITian can't see things that are clear as day to me, I think there is little hope of the rest of the world understanding.

Cheers,
Prashanth.

17 comments:

Primalsoup said...

Heh! While there are many reasons I am weary (wary?) of the IIT types, the biggest is that many of them like to wear it as a badge - like they are part of this seemingly insular world. When I read the article, it came as a shock though! Also there is that Classic, What-I-Can't-Have-I-Must-Hate thing also, stretching the Have's and Have's Not bit some more! :)

And everyone needs a good punching bag, and the IITians do most nicely. Mostly good natured, mind you.

Though when people like - Chetan Bhagat dish out hugely mediocre writing and piggy-bank on his alma mater, it does get irritating! Gah!

Artful Badger said...

Chetan Bhagat writes nonsense. His first book was tenebale, but it really wasn't anything near what it was hyped out to be.
I read the Hindu article. I was thinking of making a post on it actually. I was shocked how a National Newspaper could allow people to write such rubbish. Its just a blind rant. He presents little or no facts, and comes to all kinds of crazy conclusions.
I actually sent an email to the Hindu Letters to the Editor! :)..

Born a Libran said...

You might want to look at this email for reservations written by an IIT prof :

link

Prashanth said...

Smugbug and Ramani,
Yeah, the Five Point Someone book was terrible. I made it a point to tell all my brother's friends that it was a masala novel and misrepresented the IITs.

Ramani,
I felt exactly the same way. It was a rant against the IIT system, rather than an argument against the minority reservation. I was of a mind to send an email to the Hindu editor as well, perhaps I should do so.

Born a Libran,
Thanks for the link... it was a refreshingly objective article. I still stand by my opinion, though, because there is already some reservation and I am ok with it. But an increase will not be good for anybody.

Anonymous said...

I didnt even give a second glance to ur post after reading the heading. Why hung up on the fact about IITians? love or hate, doesnt matter. ur an iitian we accept it. Simple!

Im goinna go brush my teeth.. talkin abt Iitians leaves a bad taste. LOL

Prashanth said...

Div,
I know, I know :) I'm overdoing the IIT thing. Just couldn't help myself after reading that article! No more IIT-centric posts, I promise :)

Whats worse, I think this post sounded as much as a rant as aforementioned article, if only in a different direction! Topic closed, from the next post onward!

Artful Badger said...

Somehow, I have come to suspect that people EXPECT IITians to be arrogant. It is almost like they are looking to find something wrong with you so that they can say 'Ha! I am correct!'.
A few people have told me :
' Oh you don't look like an IIT guy. You don't seem to have a big ego!'
Then within IIT there is the CS bias:
'Oh you aren't like general CS guys.' (Many are surprised that I am in CS)
Then there is the tam brahm bias, southie bias, sishya bias ('Oh you are from Sishya?! You don't seem that way!'). There is no end to it.

alraqs said...

~ interesting, am kind of out of the loop on this IIT stereotying...dont know any ppl. fm. there, so it doesnt affect me I guess...I tend to think, who cares where you went to school?!?..did you learn anything useful to yourself is what really counts..
~ finger pointing is most common when you either feel a lack within yourself or you feel jilted out of something...I understand you wanting to stand up for something, esp. if it spreads the very feelings amongst others that generated it in the first place...but like you said, some ppl. will be better at some things that other ppl. are not and will want to be...its not going to end...
~ as anon said, life your life any old way you want to..and just quit drawing attn. to yourself :)...you dont want any anti-IIT trolls attacking your blog, do you?...

Prashanth said...

Ramani,
Thats exactly what I'm talking about :)

Alraqs,
I kinda flew off the handle on reading that article :) I just had to say something, and I realize now that I sounded even more supercilious and arrogant than I actually am :)

So, if I get a troll attack for this, I guess I thoroughly deserve it! Even Intern told me knock it off!

sd said...

Hi Prashant

First time at your blog. Very interesting post there. I am not an IITian...and currently at an university which has loads of IITians...(my flatmate is a IITian too)

I had this impression that IITians are arrogant. Ofcurse I was wrong in the sense that I was generalizing after meeting just a few IITians. On the other hand, you must accept that IITians are in general a confident lot. Sometimes this is misinterpreted as arrogance I suppose. And as I said before one or two asses helps ppl (like me :( ) to generalize!

Vc said...

TROLL ATTACK TROLL ATTACK

Prashanth said...

sd,
You are right. Confidence is ofen mistaken for arrogance... and the ingredients that exacerbate it are impatience, boldness, fearlessness and iconoclastic attitudes. And it doesn't help that there really are a handful of arrogant ones giving the rest of us a bad name!

Vc,
Hah! I'm not afraid of you :P

Divster said...

i have finally accepted IITians in my life. :)
I mean, what about all that money they mint $$$ (oooh yah!)

But, getting back to the post.. finally Prashu, i feel at peace after finding out that everyone agrees to what i had once argued in the 'chat' with you (which you cleverly posted)

Artful Badger said...

Finals week I can see :)

Sundeep said...

You can never get rid of silly stereotypes once they are ingrained in the minds of people. It's true that not all IITians are whizkids or brainy. However, anyone who has interacted with more than one or two IITians will know that there are a lot of misconceptions about them and their attitudes. There are examples of people who fit stereotypes and many others who don't.

As Ramani said earlier, people almost expect us to be arrogant and egoistic, and they derive some kind of juvenile pleasure by deriding IITians. If they think they can do better than what the IITians have achieved till now, let them show it through action rather than empty rhetoric and bravado. Those who are good enough will succeed whether they are IITians or not. Let the empty vessels make all the noise they want.

Nisheeth's article was a pity though. He first needs to get the facts right before trying to discredit his own alma mater.

qfunk said...

While i appreciate the author 4 coming 2 the rescue of IITians, to the general diaspora(which loves 2 hate IIT), i would like 2 say 2 things as an IITian :
1) I m sick 2 death of stereotypes. IITians r supposed 2 b nerdy. Yeah some of them r super nerdy, but not all. Moreover when we don't stick 2 the 'image', people tend 2 think there's somethingwrong, so it's easier to be 'normal'
2) How would u feel if u were an IITian and the fav sport in the world was IIT bashing?

qfunk said...

this is my first time on ur blog. Cool blog. BTW are u a fan of terry goodkind? (the website title n all)