Sunday, May 14, 2006

Respect...

I remember watching Nagesh Kukunoor's Bollywood Calling and laughing until my stomach hurt. I remember falling off my chair when Om Puri said, "God Promise..." in that accent so typical of Indians. I remember chuckling when he said, in a rough translation of the South Indian bromide (and I say South Indian only because I don't know that much about North Indian sayings), "You can live without money, but you cannot live without respect..."

The years pass and it stops being funny. The part about respect, I mean. There was a time when I would look up to my elders, and try to prove myself to them. Try to impress them, show them the stuff I'm made of. My teachers. My parents. My elder brother. For most of my existence, I've lived to grow up to be the man that everybody would be proud of. But this kind of pride - what you would get for being the good son or the bright pupil - is worth earning when you are a kid. After the teens, it quickly stops being something you aim for. Instead, all you want is some respect. To be recognized for a man and treated as an equal.

The thing I respect about respect is that it cannot be bought. It cannot be taken. It has to be given. And in that undefinably human way, when given, it is inevitably returned, whether you want to or not. Because when you are respected, the acknowledgement that you are worthy of that respect gives you something even more important: Self-Respect. The biggest compliment you can give a man is not given with words, but with actions that bespeak your repect for him. Assuming he has earned it.

All people have their faults. They make mistakes. They can be narrow minded. They can have poor knowledge, or make poor judgements. Nobody is free of those things. And hence, through a logic I cannot easily put into words, everybody is equal, and deserves to be treated as an equal. I no longer try to be the perfect student or perfect son out of a blind obedience to authority, or devotion to duty. Instead, I just try to do the right thing.

What a wickedly convoluted statement. Do the right thing. A statement that can be interpreted in a hundred different ways by a hundred different people in the same situation. And yet, I think it is not obscure or difficult to understand what I mean by that. By virtue of being human, we have the in-born gifts of intuition and conscience. What two people interpret as right may differ, depending upon their beliefs and backgrounds, but I think a rational person can understand another's reasons, if armed with all the facts. Sometimes, a little evil has to be done to prevent a greater evil, or achieve a greater good (the movie, Kingdom of Heaven immediately springs to mind). Other times, there is no good or evil, just the arbitrary greys we tackle in our daily lives; and yet, you would respect a person who does what he thinks is the right thing, rather than the easy thing. Full circle. Respect, and self-respect, are irrevocably linked with this nebulous notion of what is right. But respect is more tangible, even if it is no more quantifiable than right and wrong.

I have no doubt that I have lost everyone (at least in part) in that last paragraph, though it is crystal clear to me. It may seem melodramatic or overly simplistic to say this, but whenever you feel doubt about some action you are considering, just look inside your heart to know if it is right. Neither rule, nor law, nor duty, nor custom, nor society ought to dictate your actions; they can only guide.

I think I have been stating things that any ordinary person knows. Still, we only have to look around to see that what we know and what we do are far from being the same. I feel like I finally understand many of my own actions and can sleep more soundly at night.

Cheers,
Prashanth.

12 comments:

Divster said...

Well said. Now that you realize ALI G of UK blabbers a lot of S*** but along with it he says..RESPECTO!
R
E
S
...u know the rest!

It's the best motto you can have. It's kinda funny how we find ourselves actually at the mercy of others. No matter how much we gain self-respect, it is foolhardy to think that it came out of nowhere. Comes out of the respect given by others, man!

alraqs said...

Respect, and self-respect, are irrevocably linked with this nebulous notion of what is right
~ I agree, part of the hardship in respecting yourself lies in respecting others, and vice versa...and its not always difficult to respect others diff. fm. you...just as its not always easy to see yourself for what you truly do, rather than what you think you should...
~ and sound sleep is always a plus :)

Primalsoup said...

As long as you are happy and hindsight/ conscience won't trouble you - it is right! :)

Divster said...

One thing i fail to understand...

You say that ur hols started from last week. Yet, your blog seems to be as unfurnished as it was a week ago. I thought ppl during hols have the time,energy and focus to blog day n night.

On the contrary, the more work load ur immersed in.. the more times u refresh ur blog... Funny aint it?

Prashanth said...

Divya,
This past one week was recovery time :) hence, no work but no blogging either!

Alraqs and Smugbug,
Thanks :)

Why Am I said...

totally agree...guess every human...and for tht matter every living being deserves respect..not because u want them to respect u but simply because it shud be a ntural thing

Anonymous said...

Ok I need clarification oh holy one!!

Agreed that we "mortal beings", egotists that we are, tie our self-respect to respect given by others. In an "idealistic" scenario I think self respect should be in-born. You do the right thing and therefore you respect yourself: not you do the right and xyz respects you for that and therefore your self-respect increases.

I also find the statement "Neither rule, nor law, nor duty, nor custom, nor society ought to dictate your actions; they can only guide" a bit flawed.
There are cases where persons earn respect for sticking to those "rules/call of duty/law" even over what might have seemed "right" for say a kith or kin, the movie Shakti(hindi) for instance shows this tussle between a father (inspector) and son. Now in the "larger" scheme of things he may have earned respect and yet in the same vein disappointed his own blood.

Vc said...

Who is this anony? wow ...Kirthi ?

Prashanth said...

Anon (I'm not guessing who),

As far as I can see, you've understood better than I expected anyone to (I thought the post came out rather disjointed)... so where is the clarification required? Earning our respect is one way to get self-respect. Doing the right thing is another. No contradiction there...

A person's notion of what is the right thing to do is different from another's, or society's. Rules and laws are imposed by some organization, like the government. Custom is imposed by society. Duty is imposed by family, or the nation, or some other entity. So, essentially what I'm trying to say is that you should do what you think is the right thing, and allow yourself to be guided, not ruled by these external things. I'm not saying go break all the laws... but if you had to break a law to help a friend, you still have a choice.

Hope I was clearer... and please, my "preaching" is mostly for myself, on my personal weblog. I'm not imposing my philosophy on anybody, so cut out the "holy one" cracks.

Prashanth said...

Why am I,
Glad you understand... and welcome!

Vc,
I am waiting for you to come out with a comment like that :D

Artful Badger said...

Yeah self respect is pretty important.
I think most of the time you get into trouble is because you short change yourself.

Artful Badger said...

I think as important as it is to do the right thing, it is important to ensure that the right thing is done to you.
Be fair, but ensure you are being treated fairly.
If you make it a one way street, its really not sustainable, and unless you are some type of martyr you are going to end up feeling resetnful and hurt.