Tuesday, May 29, 2007

The Importance of Vocational Education in India

We had some relatives come over in the weekend, from one of those little towns in Andhra Pradesh. Apparently there is a lot of confusion over in AP regarding engineering college admissions because the demand has suddenly outstripped capacity. So, this distant cousin on mine is joining a little-known college in Chennai.

This is the first time I am seeing that guy in my life so I was least bothered by the whole affair. But my uncle sought some kind of confirmation from me that he was doing the right thing, so he told me that his kid is joining the Computer Science and Engineering group and asked me if that is a good field to join.

This may seem perfectly normal and innocent, but it took me by surprise at that time, and although externally I stammered out a "Er... yes, it is the best," internally I was shocked that the basis of choosing his son's department in college was on the popular notion of which group is "good". This is a kid's life we are talking about, and one ought to be making a more informed decision! And then I sighed when I remembered that it wasn't all that different for me either.

Flash back to the year 2000. Things seemd so obvious then... IIT or local college? IIT of course. Mechanical or Chemical or Civil or Ocean engineering? Er, can't I get Computer Science? No? Too bad. Electronics? No? Ok, fine, Mechanical it is. See, the relative demands for the engineering disciplines had left me (and indeed everyone) with the impression that so-and-so group is superior to so-and-so group in terms of scope and jobs and etc. In reality we had little idea of what one actually does in those disciplines, and in any case didn't much bother to match them with our interests. Society says, engineering is better than pure sciences. Society says, CSE is better than EE and ME. Who are we lowly mortals to question the collective wisdom of Society? And how can we be so selfish as to think about our own interests when we have our Duty to Family and Society?

Wel, alright, it wasn't as bad as I am making it out to be, but it is true that I really had no idea what I was doing when I was ticking out my department preferences at the IIT-JEE counselling. I had some vague thoughts of getting into CSE because I liked computers, but then I couldn't be in an IIT. The "best" group I could get at IIT Madras was the dual degree in mechanical engineering, so I took it. Nobody, not even my brother, had bothered to give me any real counselling and tell me what was involved in taking a particular engineering major. For instance, I knew that Civil engineers planned cities, but it never occurred to me that planning road networks would involve discrete event simulation. Not that I knew what discrete event simulation was, but the point is, everybody assumed I wouldn't understand. So how am I supposed to make an informed decision if I don't understand? Why, follow the crowd!

The truth is that schools these days are so fixated upon their students getting good marks that they don't think beyond that. In spite of being in one of the best schools in the state, I received no vocational education. Having landed in Mechanical engineering, I realized that I had neither the interest nor the aptitude for it. Chemical or Civil or Ocean engineering were at least equally good choices for me, and I realized that if I had to learn electrical engineering in order to learn electronics, I would have died, so much did I hate my electrical technology courses. I managed to save my career by carefully choosing my minor stream, and jumping master's specializations from product design to intelligent manufacturing. I had finally been able to make informed decisions, and both decisions worked out splendidly for me. I had saved not just my career, but my life.

I shudder to think what would have happened if I'd got a better rank and ended up in the bachelor's program instead of the dual degree one. The Hand of Fate has given me second chances thus far, and I'm not the type to throw them away.

Flash forward to the present. The next question that my uncle asked me was, "Is that a new laptop that I saw in your room?" I frowned, "I don't have a laptop here," and my cousin interjected in exasperation, "That's called a desktop, Dad, not a laptop!"

Something about that exchange was so familiar, so natural, that I can't help but smile whenever I think about it. Perhaps kids these days are not as stupid as we were at their age. Parents will be parents, out of touch with technology and unable to guide their children at the crucial phases. But the youngsters today have the media and the internet, and are far better informed than we were. This kid had insisted on joining the CSE department even at the cost of landing in an unknown college, so he might actually know what he's doing. Might.

Cheers,
Prashanth.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yep, most people aren't really worried about what the subject offers or whether one has the aptitude for it. And why do you label the generations? Most of the new generation still can't figure for themselves, while I have seen folks in my dad's generation know exactly what they wanted and fight everything to get there. It all depends on our personal urge to realize and experience what we want. We cannot blame people around for it for not telling us about it. Of course there is much scope for improvement in our education system which sets around making us experience only those things that are more career oriented.

Unknown said...

U never know if this kid is sure of what he wants, he "might" even be running after the "good". I agree that the younger kids are better informed but not about everything. Especially when at the stage of deciding what to opt for the B.S. I notice they are no better than what we were- naive, uninformed and with preconceived notions only to realise later that a little thought would have saved us. Good for u, fate helped, but it scares me to think about all those ppl "with aptitude" who land in some uninterested subject and lose precious yrs trying to develop interest.
I really wish elder sibling take these kida seriously and answer their questions without bias , help them make informed decisions.

Lament...collective wisdom of the society don't let this happen as much as I like :(

Pradeep Sriram said...

hey.....stop blaming the elder brother!!! i still think u got the better deal. i had a tougher time than u....nobody knew abt engineering from our huge family when i was studying. u did get to go to thakkar baba classes, iit coaching classes which i had no idea of when in 9th grade. if i remember right...u did talk to a few of my school friends doing mech eng at iit b4 deciding. i still think u have done exceptionally well. if only u can do the more practical things in life better .........but only with time comes wisdom :)

Prashanth said...

Kk,
Well, I am saying that the educational system isn't even helping us in the career-oriented things. The schools seem to think that their job is to teach us maths, physics and chemistry - or whatever subjects were in your group - rather than truly "educate" us.

Sushama,
Scares me too! But interestingly, I attribute the large part of the problem to the educational system, Kirthi to the students themselves, and you to the elders. So, I would say the solution would have to come from all three fronts.

Pipes,
Not blaming you, bro :) of course you helped me a lot by signing me up for brilliant's and thakkar bapa and etc... I am merely pointing out that even a privileged person such as I had no clue what to do at the counseling. This silhouettes a failure of the country as a whole.

b v n said...

Flashback to 99, "guys we have worked so hard for entrance and all, we need to take Mechanical and enjoi for the next four years!"

everybody "amen!"

:)

Rebelzz said...

Well none of us who get into engineering really know what reason we do that for except for the fact that half the world i doing the same. It is plain herd mentality and parental pressure. My mum would have shuddered at the thought of even one of her daughters contemplating anything apart from becoming a computer science engineer.

Well, after 4 years of engineering and 2 years of being an actual software engineer, I think I d ve been better at literature. In fact, thinking about it I realise that I did not even like mathematics all that much; people convinced me that I did because my sister loved the subject! ....

Prashanth said...

bvn,
Hehe... and did you enjoy?

Rebel,
Actually, writing professionally has been on my mind as well... I keep telling myself: one day, one day...