Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Talk to a girl about dragons...

... and likely she will think you are so weird that she will not talk to you again.

Or at least, that was the situation a few years ago. Perhaps, after reading Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, they are more forgiving of such things. I do not know.

The thing I like about Harry Potter is that it has successfully crossed all boundaries that traditionally bind the fantasy fan demographics. People of all ages read it. As many girls read it as guys. As many... er... normal people as geeks read it. On the other hand, the good old fantasy hits like Star Wars, Dungeons and Dragons, and Lord of the Rings do not have such a universal audience. They are generally considered the province of weird and immature geeks.

Case in point: I made a joke about Crumple-Horned Snorkacks in that short story and nobody thought it was particularly out of place. Consider instead if I write a story in which one guy asks another for the fifty rupees he owes him and the chap makes a Jedi-like gesture with his fingers and commands, "I don't owe you any money." If anybody laughs I will go on to a Yoda-style "Return my money, you must. Else, in grave danger you are." But I don't really see anybody laughing.

I was quite chagrined to find out how few people have in fact watched Star Wars or read Lord of the Rings. I remember a conversation with a friend that went something like this:
She: A blogger called Wookie commented on my blog... who or what is a Wookie anyway?
Me: Chewbacca is a Wookie.
She: Who or what is a Chewbacca?
Me: Chewbacca is Han Solo's co-pilot.
She: Who is Han Solo?
Me: sigh.

My brother happened to make a passing mention of Lord of the Rings to my s-i-l a few days after his wedding and she reportedly asked what that was. Once again, that made me go sigh. So much for the educated young woman of today! If I block a doorway, stamp my umbrella on the ground and yell, "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!" she will more likely send me to a mental asylum than pretend to be a Balrog.

But, wait, all hope is not lost, young fantasy-lover. Thanks to J. K. Rowling. The day will come when a guy can talk to a girl about dragons and she will ask him what his favourite kind is.

Cheers,
Prashanth.

P.S. Try this party riddle and let me know if anybody laughs. I am not responsible for any health hazards that may result, though :)

Q: Why didn't Umpire David Shepherd go to Bilbo Baggins' farewell party?
A: Because it was his Eleventy-First birthday!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

"So much for the educated young woman of today!" I take affront to that.
Excuse me, but I should be the one questioning the worth of your education; for it should at the very least, stir greater inquisition of the surrounding world that despite being vastly "known" to man still has a huge "unknown" to explore. So it fails to impress me, that one despite being educated and in the know that much needs to be known, would hanker after some "unknown" unseen and unheard which is a figment of someone else's imagination!!

C'mon, first the guys want girls to get interested in cars, bikes aeroplanes, golf, baseball and now some dino shit???
Give us a break!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry SP, I got onto your blog on 'one of those days'!

Sakshi said...

Why is it that men expect us to get into all sorts of geeky things but frown if we read cosmo quizes to them, huh?

But seriously, any body who does not get the Star wars/LOTR references, need the heartfelt sigh accompanied with the eye roll. Definite lapse in education.
Girls, before you consider me a sell out, I am one of the geeky, sci-fi fan types..

sensiblystoned said...

Pretty good pj. while i was reading it, i knew this was going to be one of your (in)famous jokes. So, i quietly swore to myself, "im not going to laugh at this one", but dammmit, i laughed :))

Oh btw, check this link out http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/geekend/images/61074_harrypotterstarwars.jpg

Oh another btw, I read sword of shannara trilogy, bleaargghhh. The first one was sooo wannabe lotr. Im going in for the dragonlance chronicles. Cheerio and take care.

Kierthi.

Prashanth said...

Kirthi,
Well, naturally this is the view of a minority... a very small minority in fact... so there is no need to get worked up about it :). I'm sure most guys don't care if you knew Dumbledore from Gandalf.

Sakshi,
If you read cosmo quizzes to me, I swear I won't frown. I may faint, though.

Kierthi,
I gave up Terry Brooks long ago. Couldn't stand him. Don't ever, ever read his Jerle Shannara trilogy. It is simply the worst fantasy work I have ever read. Dragonlance Chronicles is classic and to be read for sure... but it was written for a younger audience. My current recommendation for fantasy reading is Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen series.

Born a Libran said...

I miss David Shepherd's hop on the cricket field man... :(

Sakshi said...

Prashanth, If I ever read Cosmo quizes, I should be put in a straight jacket and admitted. Nothing else will explain such things :D

Ravi Sankar V said...

Nee enkamma, u deserve to be bumped (atleast by the select few who understood the PJ) for the PS

Prashanth said...

@Thaaths: UAHAHAHAAAAA

Anonymous said...

I agree with Ravi..but dude stop sighing and rolling your eyes...I think the younger generation the 12ish 13ish kids are reading the fanatasy/sci fi genre
and KK take this...Imperio

uhahhahhahahhaaaaaaaaaaahaa

I liked this post :)
Vc