Friday, August 03, 2007

Moment of the week

This week my cousin came over from Salem. Now, there are a few standard things we do whenever he comes. One is to go watch the latest English movie, as only the Tamil dubbed versions generally get released there (I once unwittingly went to watch Spiderman when I was there and found out after the movie started that it was in Tamil!). Another is food - you can't get a decent pan pizza or an authentic chaat anywhere in that town! So, this time, he said, "Let's go to that place and have a chaat."

Now, that place is one of the few places in Chennai that you can have a real chaat, and is conveniently situated close to my house. Countless are the times I've been there with my brother or a cousin or a friend and ordered a Dahi Puri for myself and whatever for the other person. Yes, I always order Dahi Puri there. It's just tooooo gooood.

With an awfully familiar feeling we drive there and I order two Dahi Puris, handing over three ten-rupee notes. This time, though, the cashier peers at me and says, "Sixty one rupees saab."

With a slightly stunned expression I ferret some more cash out of my wallet and say that the price was fifteen rupees when I used to come here, four years ago. The cashier informs me gently, "Fifteen rupees for a Dahi Puri? That would be eight years ago, saab."

He was right, of course. And to think, I regard some people as old-fashioned, and even tell some people to their faces that they are old-fashioned. Here I am, twenty four years old and as ancient-minded as any of them. Gah! Truly, that was my WTF moment of the week.

Please, make me feel better. Tell me your WTF moment of the week.

Cheers,
Prashanth.

7 comments:

Terra said...

Dont worry too much about it....u still get Dahi Puri for 15 bucks in some places....But I can imagine the look on the cashiers face when u gave him 15 bucks if this was at the place I think it was! ha! ha! ha!....n I dont really have a WTF moment but I met up with my friends on Saturday and by 10 we were ready to go home....I mean we were all truly relieved that nobody suggested clubbin late into the nite....n tht realisation was truly a WTF moment for me....growing old and fast...its depressin sometimes I tell u.

myths said...

Last Friday had a truckload of WTF moments:
Let me start ..
I will be leaving this place by Sept 1st week, I have a lease till October.
I was going to transfer it to my roomie's name.
Aug 1st , she applies.
Aug 3: They reject it with no given reason.
First,WTF
I tell her, lets go speak to them face-to-face, then maybe we can convince them.She says no, I changed my mind, I dont want the lease. Plus, I will move out next week to another apartment(which means, I wont pay u the rent for this month)
Second WTF
My old roomie who had told me earlier that she wanted to move back in by August calls up and says I have decided to postpone moving back for two months, my secoond hope for lease transfer phut.
Third WTF
I go to the rental office and tell them, ok boss, I need to terminate the lease since you wont transfer it.They tell me , for ur request to be accepted, you should have raised it before the 1st of August, now it is late, you will be held responsible for the rent till September end.
Fourth WTF
I go home, half depressed about the amount of money that I am gonig to have to shell out. but then EOD, I tell myself, its just money and go to bed a happy person for I was to go to Six Flags the next day.

Prashanth said...

Terra,
That was vaguely reminiscent of a scene from F.R.I.E.N.D.S :)

Myths,
You're moving? Where where?

Anonymous said...

Back to namma Bengalooru ...
Myths

Vc said...

Myths Sp is from Chennai and doesnt understand :Namma bengalooru" oh yeah he has been to Whitefield :) ask him about it.

and Sp..what's this WTF ? Will Trolls Fly ? Scratches his nose..kirrrik kirrrik

Artful Badger said...

Are you referring to Gangotree? Its a complete ripoff. They rob you blind.
In the 90's the price used to be like 10 bucks. Even with 10% inflation 30 bucks is a ripoff.

Anonymous said...

Don't ask....the biggest WTF moment...they don't make clothes my size in India itself :(((