Monday, September 24, 2007

I wouldn't, either

Do you remember that scene in the movie American Beauty in which Kevin Spacey is at his self-deprecating best?

Guy: Hi, I'm X.
Spacey: Actually, we already met - at that Christmas party last year.
Guy: Ohhhh...
Spacey: Don't worry, I wouldn't remember me either.

Well, something similar happened to me today. The person was Girl In Stat Class, GISC for short.

Me: Actually, I'm headed to X Building in the west campus. I'm in the Industrial Engineering Department, you know.
GISC: Oh, then you must me knowing C...
Me: (sigh) Yes, you already told me, she's your neighbour.

I nearly wanted to add, "Yeah, I wouldn't remember talking to me either."

But it's even more sad because I'm quite sure I've done the same thing to other people on many an occasion. I just have a terrible memory for people-related things. In fact, I'm a terrible people-person, period. But that does not excuse such behaviour, now that I know how it feels to be at the receiving end.

Moral of the story? Pay attention to people. Be a better listener.

Hopefully I have learnt my lesson!

Cheers,
Prashanth.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooh!!! I'm really bad at remembering names and faces too! But i'm trying to get better...not made much progress though!

Priyanka said...

Good listeners are few and far in between. Its always a work in progress!

Anonymous said...

what abt digits?

A

Artful Badger said...

Remembering always tend to be assymetric. The person who you most want to remember you, is least likely to.
This is especially true with important people.