Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Free Speech

I was pleasantly surprised to come across this excellent article in the New York Times: Google's China Problem - and China's Google Problem and felt I had to share it. It talks about the current situation in government censorship of the Internet in China. My personal motivation in reading it, of course, was not any desire to learn about the political situation in China but to find out how Google is doing there and what they are being accused of... I mean, Google seems to be taking over the world, but people don't really have complaints. It's kind of like a benevolent dictatorship, as opposed to, say, a Microsoft Monopoly, which would qualify as something close to despotism. I wake up in the morning and check my GMail, my Orkut scrapbook, my Blogger comments, read Google News, check the weather forecast on my Personalized Homepage, do a quick Google Search or Google Scholar search for some obscure piece of research, update my ToDo list on my Google Desktop bar, .... do I need continue? Your mornings may not be particularly different, either. Now, Google may rule our lives, but we all agree that Google is NOT Evil. Hence my interest in that article. As a bonus, I learnt a lot of things about China I didn't know before.

A poignant excerpt from the article:
"...To take Lee at his word is to take a leap of faith: that the Internet, simply through its own inherent properties, will slowly chip away at the government's ability to control speech, seeding a cultural change that strongly favors democracy. In this view, there will be no "great man" revolution in China, no Lech Walesa rallying his oppressed countrymen. Instead, the freedom fighters will be a half-billion mostly apolitical young Chinese, blogging and chatting about their dates, their favorite bands, video games — an entire generation that is growing up with public speech as a regular habit..."

Cheers,
Prashanth.

10 comments:

Divster said...

It's a far-fetched idea by Mr. Lee. Just like India, even China has its numbers of illiterate people (who can't afford an internet connection or an education to learn abt the internet).

I agree the student population of China has a might that's becoming an unstoppable rage..But, their cultural thinking, despite all the experiences, is not likely to change too easily. Chinese obey orders very well. They have not been taught to "give orders". Chinese don't forget their roots too easily. They will never go against their communist govt and this is a fact I know from my experience.

As for your google confession, it was nice to hear about certain fanatic qualities of yours. You suddenly looked more....more...HUMAN!

Prashanth said...

I think that things will change over a period of time. I believe Google is doing the right thing here. Changes wrought from within the system will be slow, but lasting.

And... er, I'm not as fanatical about those things as many of the people I know :) but human? I seriously wonder when I gave anyone the impression of being anything less, or more, than human!!

Artful Badger said...

Arent you supposed to be busy. Writing posts at 4 in the morning. tsk tsk.

Prashanth said...

I'm awake at 4 in the morning precisely because I'm busy :D

Anyway, I wrote the post in the afternoon, though I am guilty of writing comments this late ... or early, for those in the early riser category!

Anonymous said...

Google is literally a life-saver at times, not the best on privacy, but def. not evil...but still, BBC news is way, way better..Your timestamps are on a different country time zone...
~alraqs

Prashanth said...

Yeah, my blog is still on India time :) I'll have to hunt down and change the setting for that..

I get my news from the Hindu, NY Times, BBC and Google... but I usually don't bother reading any :P

Artful Badger said...

I will be but that would be a week before I begin work. I am starting on July 10th. Where is the reunion being planned?

Prashanth said...

Indianapolis, for the race... there are some camping plans as well, kinda nebulous at the moment... lets see if it works out.

Prashanth said...

I'm likely to pop up at UIUC around that time as well, if my Bridge NABC plans work out, since JP will be my partner.

Artful Badger said...

I am not sure if I will be in UIUC. However, if I am not in UIUC, I am in Chicago. :)