Thursday, April 20, 2006

To tell a story...

I recently watched the movie Vanilla Sky, something that I've wanted to do for a while but got around to doing only a week ago. My reaction, at the end of it, was "Not bad. It's original and in a way, interesting." But I couldn't get myself to say that it was good, or that I really liked it. Coincidentally, that was my exact reaction to the movie Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, which is similar to the aforementioned movie in other ways as well.

I wondered why I reacted in this way to movies that many of my friends praise enthusiastically. I guess the problem is that I've always been the type of writer or poet who likes to tell stories in a way that people can connect with. When I write a poem, you can follow my chain of thought. Often, it's not even a chain; just a winding, dancing thread that you can trace with your fingers to its conclusion, whatever it may be: a message; an idea; a state of mind; or perhaps a combination of several of those.

In contrast, these movies are meant to be seen as art. One can appreciate the script that keeps the viewer guessing right till the very end; the freshness of thought that went into every aspect of making it; the subtle hints in the picturization; a myriad other things. A movie maker or hard core theater buff might appreciate such things, but what about the regular audience? They come out of the movie confused, rather than entertained or moved or enlightened. It's like looking at a painting. I can appreciate a realistic and vivid nature scene; I can appreciate abstractness, in the way that an artist might construct an environment to reflect the mood or life of a person in the painting, or in other ways. But if you show me some modern art and talk about the philosophy behind some random-coloured whorls, I would say, "I'm looking at the picture, but I am absolutely unable to identify with it."

Mind you, I'm not your average movie-goer who defines fun entirely in terms of tangibles. I drink and breathe creativity. I revel in the power of words to express things that are beyond the understanding of the eye and the ear; just as I adore music, movies and art for the way they can express things that are beyond the means of words. As a person who loves to write, I can understand the nuances of a book, the intent of an author, and grasp the soul of what he or she is trying to say, better than the average reader; yet, I never forget the fact that the complement of write is read. I'm quite sure that it is possible to write in a style that only a skilled writer can interpret, understand and appreciate; but even if I was that skilled writer, I have that side of me that is the reader, and that side will not like it.

One of my favourite authors, Ursula Le Guin, has this to say about telling a story. It's not directly relevant to what I've been talking about so far, but it strikes a chord because she talks about stories being told, for the sake of themselves. It is such a good feeling to immerse yourself in a story, in whichever medium it is being told, without looking for a message or a lesson. In the same way, I feel that movies are best when they tell a story. I like mystery and suspense and plot twists, but I don't want to come out bewildered and having to watch it three times over before I can make sense of it completely and identify the minute "clues". I like being shocked and surprised, if it's part of the story; not if the point of it was merely to surprise and shock the viewer.

Cheers,
Prashanth.

14 comments:

sensiblystoned said...

It explains why hardcore movie buffs want to watch masala/commercial movie every now and then. There are times when I just want to be taken along for a ride and not worry about logic. But the yardstick for good movies, imo will be ones like eternal sunshine of the spotless mind, usual suspects and similar movies. The point is 8 out of 10 movies fall into a pattern, a basic plot revolving around simple emotions like revenge, love, fear and likewise. I love movies which keep me guessing, involving the viewer in the movie not run of the mill ones where the "twists" are played out beforehand. Read my review of spotless mind on movie blog. You might understand why people like intern, kaushik and me depend on movies like these :D

Prashanth said...

Kierthi,
I did read the review ages ago. I can totally understand your feelings. But I must tell you, I'm not talking about "masala" or commercial movies when I talk about keeping in mind that movies are meant for an audience. It is possible to have art and abstraction and creativity and beauty, all without tying the brain cells into knots. Perhaps one example is the movie "Hero" starring Jet Li. There also, there is a lot of symbolism and abstraction; and the leaping back and forth in time and perspective. And it keeps you guessing uptil the end. Yet, it doesn't lose you, or force you to do some mental gymnastics just to understand, leave alone appreciate it. And you don't have to go all the way to the end of the movie to understand the significance of something in between.

Anonymous said...

That is perhaps the most narcissistic post I have seen. Today. Perhaps in the last week.

Whats with the whole "oh! I am a great writer/poet and I understand nuances which others don't" Puhlease. You have got to be kidding me.

" I revel in the power of words to express things that are beyond the understanding of the eye and the ear;"
This from a guy who blogged about getting trapped in an evil elevator with an asian guy.

or perhaps this is a recursive comment (insert bad comp sci joke) with me proving exactly what you were saying - that i dont understand what you are saying.

-- Hemang

Anonymous said...

latea vanthalum latesta varnum? pacha, these are old movies. good that u saw them. u can check out the review of spotless mind on dandanaka.blogspot.com, loori's blog.

y am i getting only a preview of ur blog in my rss reader? u changed some settings? change it back. i want to read the whole post from my mail client. Also put a feedburner on the site. it will help mom and dad to read ur posts.

Prashanth said...

Hemang,
If you didn't understand what I'm trying to say, then what exactly are YOU trying to say? I know I'm narcissistic and vain, but I would appreciate it if you comment on the topic of the post rather than me. After all, as you rightly pointed out, I talk enough about myself on this blog already.

Anna,
Yeah, I had changed the site feed settings... I changed it back now. I don't know how to set up a feedburner yet, you'll have to walk me through it or give me some time to figure it out.

Anonymous said...

apologies.

H

Anonymous said...

SP~ this is quite a funny post.
*I drink & breathe creativity*?? That just cracked me up. Is that why I saw you watching Smallville last week?? ha ha.. dont poison my apples, alright.
You should have seen those Miyazaki movies I had told you about. Highly recommended.
- Nag

Artful Badger said...

Movies such as Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind are interesting. I slept through the whole thing. Even though it had a great idea or whatever, I just found it too tiresome to follow!
Its like listening into a great math finding, its *yawn* if you really aren't into it.
The second type of movie is the movie no one really understands but everyone admits to like because they will be judged to be stupid if they don't like it. Like Modern Art or an Opera piece.

Prashanth said...

Kaushik,
Yeah, I guess you're 100% right. And yes, I did immediately think of Memento as well :) I personally liked Memento > Eternal Sunshine... > others like Vanilla Sky, but none of them are up there with my favourites.

Hemang,
Accepted :)

Nag,
Ok ok, that was corny... didn't quite come out the way I wanted it to... but the Smallville dig was LOW, even for you [-(

Divster said...

You didn't like Vanilla Sky???
Neither did I...Err but I haven't watched it yet. Even if I did I don't think I can register anything except Mr. Handsome..:P

So, where is that Vanilla ice-cream you were to treat me with for reading your post (yaaawwnnn)

Artful Badger said...

Oh you should see Thank You for Smoking. Its a most brilliant satire. Smart and hilarious!! It has potential to be a classic.

alraqs said...

hmm...different sorts of people out there, different sorts of movies...each one to their own...
~ I find that the type of movie I'm ready to watch largely depends on my mood...sometimes I'm ready to 'think' and open to interpretation movies are welcome...but at other times I just want everything to be laid out in black-and-white for me...

Artful Badger said...

[alraqs] yeah really. i like deep thinking movies when i feel like watching such movies.
sometimes i just want to watch a romantic comedy/ slapstick comedy/ mindless action type movie..

Vc said...

hero hero .. yep that's one amazing movie.. i saw Jet lee's latest Flick.. Fearless and the action was as usual cool .. but its got a story and ... it was in chinese ..... :( ...but not as awesome as Hero and did you watch the house of flying daggers ? swwwwwwwwwwwwroooooooop ping ...ting ... and hello u watch smallville ? wat next Sp ? Dont tell me you watch desparate housewives..too .. eeww.. and ketaki was at kk's blog.. hehe ..