Thursday, April 13, 2006

The Self-Actualization Conundrum

The Maslow Hierarchy of Needs for job satisfaction is this interesting theory that in every job, there is a hierarchy of things that one requires in order to be happy. The factors at the higher level contribute to your happiness only if the ones at the lower level are met. For example, if you don't have a decent-sized cubicle or palatable food, you're going to be unhappy even if you have that cool insurance policy. The theory says that after you have your physiological, safety, emotional and esteem-related needs met, the final thing you need to be really happy is: Self-Actualization.

Self-actualization is a nice polysyllabled word, you say, and people like bandying it around, but what does it really mean? Well, the dictionary defines it simply as:

"To develop or achieve one's full potential."

And I think we need waste no more words trying to look for more in-depth definitions, but try to understand the repercussions of the above definition in the atmosphere of a job. If you think on it awhile, you will hopefully come to the same conclusion as I - that most people do not really feel happy unless they're constantly learning, growing, stretching themselves, trying new things, challenging themselves. Monotony may be comfort in the short run; we all have a natural resistance to change; but in the long run, you will be happy only when you keep exceeding your own boundaries.

These are the things that went through my mind when I came to the startling realization that I seem to be consistently choosing near-disastrously difficult projects for myself. Why on Earth can't I be happy with doing what regular people do and collecting my 'A' grade? Why do I have to make things harder for myself, take triple the amount of time and suffer triple the tension, in doing something that may or may not work, for an uncertain grade? I guess part of the answer lies in what I've been saying about self-actualization. I'm human. I need a new challenge every week in order to be happy.

I may crib and complain about how much time such work takes, and how boring it is to spend all my time in my office, but still I do what I do out of choice. I'm no masochist. I guess I really do love my work. What does that make me?


19 comments:

Anonymous said...

i have decided that u r not such a terrible guy, and i think i will stop writing hate comments on your blog from now on..

but i got u on RSS baby, so watch out..

Prashanth said...

Intern,
You know, some people would have had the answer "Geek" with a reaction time of a fraction of a second :)

Anon,
Er... thanks, I think!

Artful Badger said...

Just say you are needing love life.
Oh btw, [anon] you have the honor of being the first guy troll or goll.

Artful Badger said...

Interesting ending. Guess you built it all up for that..
I have come to conclude that a lot of ppl from IITs are risk junkies..
We like risk because it's risky and not for any rational reason like you really need to get whatever you are risking for.

alraqs said...

hmmm, I'd rather look at it as a need to be passionate about what you do...without that, no matter if its challenging or not, it just won't cut it...

ramani--
well in general too, whats life without a little or more risk..its also a necessary staple..

Tipsy Topsy said...

@anonymous: i am still looking for that post which would alter my mind about prashanth. what did u see in this one?

@prashanth: don't read the above. oh damn! too late i think :P hygeine theory Herzberg uncle ki hai aur need heirarchy theory Maslow uncle ki hai. dono mein similarities hain lekin maslow ne hygeine factors nahin diye the, herzberg ne diye the.

Prashanth said...

Ramani,
That also!
And I agree.... us IITians are major risk takers... sometimes even when it has no apparent additional payoff!

Alraqs,
Well that was kind of implicit. First you need to like what you do, then you need the challenge. That's in the hierarchy.

Kaushik,
After spending 5 years among like-minded people, I've kind of begun to think that its the norm rather than the exception. So its possible I have a narrow view.

Tipsy,
I know, but in my mind I always had this theory that you can correlate the Herzberg theory and the Maslow theory. Like, Herzberg's Hygiene factors can be split into Maslow's Physiological needs and safety needs, and so on. But I guess some people might feel offended by my corruption of the Maslow theory, so I will make some corrections...

Divster said...

What does that make you???

a c*** geek [:p]

Sundeep said...

I'm human. I need a new challenge every week in order to be happy.

Not all humans are like that. There are lots of people who would feel comfortable in sticking to whatever is safe and keep out of harm's way. Many people find the monotony and sameness of their day to day life comforting. There isn't much excitement that way but there isn't much unpleasantness as well. The fact is, many IITians are different in that they actually get a kick out of tackling these challenges head on rather than leave them for someone else to solve.

Anonymous said...

Self-actualisation : To develop or achieve one's full potential.

What if that were to be interpreted as constantly learning at your full potential, growing at their full potential,...?

Anonymous said...

guy troll?? how do you know that, ramani?

maybe i have the right chromosome? or the wrong one?

Artful Badger said...

Oh well..I just hazarded a guess..
You can also be a girl troll..or a trolless..its all upto you..

Prashanth said...

Divster,
Now now, watch the language :)

Su,
Yeah, I think 5 years in an IIT altered my conception of whats normal... now that I'm in the real world, I'll have to pay more attention to how people think.

Anon,
I would say that is too much to hope for! An interesting thought, though. But the world is far from ideal..

Ramani and Anon,
Knock it off! No sexual discrimination on this blog!

Artful Badger said...

Oh no I am all for discriminaion. I am all for an Aish esque troll.

Deepti Ravi said...

:0 !! I would have said 'Freak'???? ;) Damn.. I'm so outnumbered here when it comes to being lazy and happy with humdrum being!!

Vc said...

Psst Sp are there any trools around ? and wats a troll with ponytails called ?

Prashanth said...

Ramani,
Aish-esque troll? Keep dreaming, dude...

Deepti,
Aw, c'mon! Live life on the edge :D

Vc,
I'll be sure to ask Tolkien uncle next time I see him.

Anonymous said...

ok.. enough.. SP~ next blog please..

Nag

Prashanth said...

Nag, you are a nag :P

Nevertheless, new post coming up...