Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Just when I thought my life was boring...

This happened last week as I was taking the bus to campus, an inherently boring and quite routine thing I do in my life. But this time, there was something different. A female voice beside me asked, "Are you Prashanth?"

Now, I don't want to call her Mystery Girl. That sounds too cliched. So let's call her Girl With Cute Accent. GWCA for short. The conversation went something like this:

GWCA: Are you Prashanth?

Me: (a little off-guard) Yes...?

GWCA: (shyly - I swear) I've read your blog.

(Well, it sounded more like "blawg", but as mentioned already, accent was cute, so I didn't mind one bit.)

Me: (at a loss for words) (must've had my mouth open for a second or two) How did you know it was me?

GWCA: (shrugs) Must've seen your photograph somewhere.

Me: (completely baffled as to how that could have happened) Er... hmmmm... and you are?

(For anonymity's sake we'll skip a part of the story. But I'm a vain guy, and I was curious about one thing...)

Me: What did you think of my blog?

GWCA: (a little too quickly) It was interesting.

(Now, if there's one thing I can count on in my life, it's Murphy's Law of Single Men: All the cute women you meet never find anything interesting about you. Not even something as insignificant as your blog. So, naturally I was a bit suspicious.)

Me: (with raised eyebrow) You're just being polite.

GWCA: (with a mischevious twinkle in her eye) Yes.

(Damn, couldn't she have continued being polite a little longer?)

GWCA: Did you know you're famous?

(Here I almost fell off the seat before I realized that the mischevious glint was still there. O-K-A-Y. Sarcasm, the most abundant entity in this world. I guess I can live with it.)

I guess girls can never change one basic aspect of their character: they are wicked. It's just the way God made them. But, as with a lot of other things in this world, I can live with that. Anyway, as it turns out, the girl lives in the same apartment complex as I, and takes the same bus route everyday as I. She was surprised that she hadn't noticed me the whole of last year, or she would have said hello earlier. No surprise for me. When was the last time any girl had noticed me for any reason?

Well, at least the incident broke the monotony of my life for a while. To GWCA and all the people who read my inane little ramblings: thank you and keep visiting!

Cheers,
Prashanth.

10 comments:

Vc said...

Wow Speee you are like FAMOUS dude.. and the other name for girls is wicked..hehe SPee and interesting ..hehe uahahhahhhhhaaaaaaa

Prashanth said...

Grrrr... Pataar Pataar!

Anonymous said...

Girls are Wicked??? hello I resent that! Of course I am wicked but not a whole lot of sweet girls who are nice especially to guys! In a way it serves you right for trying to be overly modest: you should have instead asked whether she liked your short stories.

Doesn't it spook you when you meet someone who never comments on your blog but reads it all the same?

Born a Libran said...

Dude, I wonder how many more people think you are "famous" due to your blog and then just compliment it due to politeness.... Does that mean she thinks you are famous for bad writing? The more I think about it, the more skeletons I find...

So TGCA, please clarify... What is our SP dude famous for?

Prashanth said...

Intern,
Pigs meaning... poor indian graduate students? :-o

Anon, (kk?)
Only two of my short stories are on this blog... and even I didn't think they were great in any way, so it plain doesn't make sense to ask her that. I could've asked about my poems, but hardly anyone reads my poems either.

As for whether it was spooky... weeelllll... just a little. Girls tend to get spooked by things like that, us guys do such stuff ourselves ;) so we don't mind too much!

B-a-l,
I have no idea what GWCA was thinking... I suspect she likes my blog, but wanted to pull my leg a bit. Why else would she even have bothered talking to me?

Anonymous said...

our apartment complex?? really.. was it a cute *indian* accent?

machcha.. you are all famous and all. I think i'm starting to get a picture on who this person might be..

and oh, did you ask her if she read your stories??

-Nag

P said...

Aaah the famos blogger!!
:-)

Neihal said...

hahaha...I wont comment on girls being wicked, and you being famous...I guess you have established that part very well...but on murphy's law..and its intepretation...now Murphy rocks...which other theory has even half as many intepretations as his.

Prashanth said...

Nag,
Yes, yes and no...

Perspective,
Hush :)

Kaushik,
Now now, don't jump to conclusions!

Neihal,
Well, I made that up myself, but on Murphy's behalf :D

sunshine said...

girls.. wicked??? statements like tht cud make u infamous! :D
nyways.. fun post... keep it coming!!