Tuesday, August 22, 2006

A Short Non-Story

Disclaimer: This is an "art" article. I am not trying to present any theories or saying anything about my own spiritual beliefs; and I most definitely do not want anyone to take offense on religious or spiritual grounds.

I hovered at the edge of Oblivion, pondering the maze in front of me. At least, the little that I had been allowed to glimpse.

Like countless times before, I would soon be walking that maze. Innumerable forks and turns, each representing a decision in life; some big, some small. Some can be undone; most can't. At the end of that maze, I would know how much farther or closer I was to the end of the real journey. But in what appeared to be a cruel jest, some paths in the maze were lined with soft flowers, and some were lined with sharp thorns; and the flower beds rarely took you closer to the Destination.

In what I knew to be a cruel jest, I would be forced to walk blindfolded. Not in the conventional sense, but in the sense that I would be stripped of all conscious knowledge and memory of my past before this instant. I would have to learn my lessons all over again, and never even be told that there is a destination, nor how to get there. It was all one big test: and a test of the conscious, as we all know, is incomplete. Test the subconscious as well, and one who passes can be trusted forever. If you offer a man a great deal of money for doing harm to someone, and he resists his temptation, your job is half done. If the thought of accepting never even occurs to him, your job is fully done.

It was almost time to leave Oblivion. I sighed. I was loathe to give up all I'd become, even though I knew I would get it all back with interest soon. Perversely, I wondered why everybody called it Oblivion, because to me it was reality; the mazes were Oblivion. No, that wasn't fair; the Destination is the only true Oblivion. Freedom from the cycles of the mazes of life. Nobody really knew what it would be like once one reached the Destination, because nobody ever came back. People speculated that it would be like the Heaven imagined by mortals in the mazes. But I knew better. It would be true Oblivion. The Divine Reward.

It was time. Somewhere in a hospital, a baby was born. I took a deep breath and stepped into the maze, surrendering my identity.

The baby cried.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmmm, thinking of work pushes you to oblivion thoughts eh? ;)

Vc said...

Awesome DUDE......woow some Deep stuff.. wooww... wooww..

Ok i lost you in the disclaimer, well actually I got stuck when i saw the word --"art".

sigh...come on i want a fantasy story.. with dragons and kk.

PS: Why do you always tend to kill people ? just so that they can be reborn ??

Prashanth said...

Alraqs,
Sigh.

Vc,
Art is part of every art-icle :P

A fantasy story with a dragon called kk... well that can be managed...

And hey, at least there was no killing or suicide in this story!

Intern,
Haha :) still me... and you went to the core of it as usual... the subject is life, as always!

sunshine said...

very well put!! was wondering how the artsy post wud be... a surreal journey!

Artful Badger said...

I kind of understood it but I still found it a little comlex.
Its weird because so many people live life, but the experiences of one person are scarcely carried over to the next. Every person in ignorance or arrogance goes through the same game over and over.
[alraqs] maybe prashanth is just getting delirious ;)

Preethi said...

Sahi mein arty post.. :)

Prashanth said...

Sunshine and SG,
Thanks!

Artful Badger,
I think we all touch delirium at some level all too often in our lives :)

Anonymous said...

Ah! Nice one. I have a more weird notion about life and the universe. Maybe its a bit hard to articulate at the moment, so will do a post on it someday.
Sometimes I wish I could just step out of my existing self and look at myself and perhaps the world around in a different way!

The two of you are such meanies...a dragon named kk boohoo
:(

Anonymous said...

oye, why dont you tell us all what delirious thoughts prompted this non-story art? ;)...in great detail of course..

Prashanth said...

Kirthi,
I look forward to that post :) but you should know, this doesn't really reflect my opinion. Just one of the random things I think about!

... and delirium didn't prompt this article, I was just speaking in general terms :)

Anonymous said...

decoding obliviousness of oblivion.eh?

interesting read..and indeed most of it all seems a cruel jest..

Prashanth said...

Scarecrow,
Sigh.