Friday, July 29, 2005

Graduation...

Finally, it's over. We had our convocation today, and I am now officially Prashanth Sriram, B.Tech, M.Tech, IIT Madras.

Strangely, it didn't feel one bit as though I were going through a momentous, once-in-a-lifetime occasion. I've had unforgettable moments in my life, and even written poetry about them. Well this wasn't one of them. I'm not entirely sure why, but I attach absolutely no importance to the fact that I've graduated. I was making jokes that this, being the 42nd convocation, is the answer to our lives, the universe and everything. I stared at my neighbour's hair, wondering why it looked diferent, until she blushed and said that she'd had a straightening perm. Well, you get the overall picture.

Maybe its because I know that I've gone from being an outstanding student to merely above average. I mean, I haven't done much academically in five years of life at IIT Madras to be proud of. Well... not much outside of academics for that matter! Still, I haven't really put up any performances to be majorly ashamed of either. I think the mediocrity of my existence is killing me slowly... perhaps a new atmosphere is exactly what the doctor ordered. If I'm lucky and find true happiness there, I just might extricate myself from this unshakeable sense of sheer boredom. I need to rekindle my passion for work, and perhaps therein lies my salvation.

Wonder if there are other people out there in the world who feel this way.

Anyway, after the function was over, I realized I had no desire to stop for celebration or goodbyes or gossip. I was the first one to hand in my robes. Fortunately, on the way back, I ran into some friends whom I was genuinely glad to see, so I did celebrate / gossip / say goodbyes after all!

Now comes the strange part. On the way back home, I stopped at the Shiva temple inside the campus to say a prayer of thanks. Well, I'm not actually a believer, and I rarely pray for anything, believing instead that if I want anything I should be capable of getting it by myself or I don't deserve it. No, the thing is that I sometimes go inside temples to say my thanks, for I don't know whom else to address my thanks. And the funny thing is that on a day as important as the convocation, there were very few people in the temple, and not one of them looked like a newly graduated student. I wasn't so early that nobody had had the time to reach the temple; I wasn't so late that everybody had left; I fully expected the temple to be teeming with students and their families. The only explanation I can think of is that people conveniently forget their Gods at times when They are not needed. I mean, people say prayers of request, instead of prayers of thanks. Which sounds extremely selfish and against my expectations of Theists. Perhaps the Gods, if any, would look more kindly upon me than these so-called believers.

Come to think of it, maybe they actually do!

Cheers,
Prashanth.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS !!!

and wish you The Best in embarking on your journey through life.

We have family, friends n strangers who influence us; but at some level, life is a very personal journey...Its meaning is only in our thoughts and in the quiet of our minds....

In the mealstrom when we feel totally lost, lies the moments of awareness...

here's raising a toast to the matrix of self-evolution ...
*Intern

Prashanth said...

That was... profound. Thanks, Intern.

Anonymous said...

Gimme five man. I agree with u when u say people prefer to ask for something when they pray rather than show gratitude for what they have.
Talking of mediocrity, I couldn't have been a more mediocre in engineering. I never felt satisfied with the efforts I put in my acads and I had been lazy enough not to do anything about it.

Anonymous said...

Congrats SP...Sigh* 5 years uff...

Vc

Anonymous said...

Kirthi why is SP becoming religious all of a sudden..Has it got to do something with his flying off to US ??

Anonymous said...

Nice blog! Whenever I pass my exams I go to the temple too. I read some of the Previous Posts and found them very interesting. I really liked Intern's comments, very deep and profound. When I open my blog, I'll invite you guys.

T.K.

Tipsy Topsy said...

Congrats.

When i had my college farewell, I was also strangely emotionless.

As for the new place, wahan par Phod Dena! :)

Kirthi said...

Oh yes Vc, I don't know why but that happens to me too a lot of times...when I am going away from home, a sudden sense of deprivation from the protective care of my family makes me connect easily to God. My family probably believes that I am agonstic because they haven't seen me show such enthusiasm in matters of religion and God.

Squid said...

congrats on graduating!! hope u didnt trip on the robe.. :p

good luck for the future too!

Artful Badger said...

congratulations you are well on your way to become a boring old graduate student..:D

Prashanth said...

Thanks, all! And no, I didn't trip on my robe :) and no, I am not becoming religious all of a sudden.

Kaushik, believe it or not, Mrs.Sunitha sent me out of class once in Std 10. *sniff*

Vc said...

Mrs Sunitha !!are you kidding ? .. she could not.. I mean you being her "pet" student and all.... really ?? Why why why ?? why would she do such a thing ??

Prashanth said...

Er... I just happened to be at a particularly noisy table and for neutrality sake she sent all 6 of us out. She immediately felt so bad at my embarrassment that she sent me away on errands for the rest of the period; that way no other teacher could see that I'd been punished!

You didn't REALLY think I'd been a bad boy, did ya? (innocent expression)