Monday, July 11, 2005

The Three R's

No, I'm not talking about Reading, Riting and Rithmetic; I'm talking about Reading, Re-Reading, and Re-re-reading.

Whenever I mention to someone that I've been re-reading a book for the Nth time, N being a finite positive integer, I get incredulous looks and the occasional curse or two. They think I'm crazy to read a book more than once... they say, if you already know everything thats going to happen, what's the point in reading it? Strangely the same folk condone re-watching of movies, because "some movies are absolute classics" and watching them is such a "great experience" that there is nothing wrong in watching them again.

I don't see how the logic is any different. The first time you read a book, the tendency is to focus on the story. I mean, since you're not mugging the novel for an exam, you are unlikely to note every subtle aspect of character or shade of meaning of some line or hint in the plot. I, for one, read faster than a page a minute on an average, and if the print size is large and the book is fast-paced, I'm capable of doubling that. Still, I don't think my understanding is hampered much by my speed... it is just that there is only so much that an average human being can digest at one go. Everytime I re-read a novel, I discover something I've missed on the previous read, and my appreciation of the author grows.

For example, when I first read Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, I felt that it was way below the standards set by Rowling so far. It read a lot like a soap opera... some pointless romance stuff; Mahabharath - style battle scenes; I felt that the plot totally lacked the subtlety and the twists that I've come to admire her for.

But on re-reading it this week, I've softened my stance... because I think I understand what she actually tried to do in the book. She needed to bring out some aspects of Harry's character - something that she's sorely neglected in the previous books, and capture the tumultous emotions in his heart. If you chuck the story aside and look at the little things, you'll find that the book nicely sets the stage for Half - Blood Prince.

The same kind of thing applies for movies as well... the first time you see a movie, you are unlikely to absorb the significance of every phrase in the dialogue or aspect of the setting. Only when you watch it for the second time will you begin to appreciate the nuances of the plot and everything that the scriptwriter and director tried to bring out. And when you appreciate it better, it means you enjoy it as well.

Still, I never get bored of re-reading my favourite novels even after I've absorbed every single word like a sponge. I must have read Second Foundation over 12 times! Perhaps taking it to that extreme is a bit insane, but then again, I've never actually claimed to be completely sane!

Cheers,
Prashanth.

7 comments:

Vc said...

So true .. It applies to both Asterix and Tintin comics.

Hmm I see you are preparing yourself for the 1/2 blood Prince.

Self Writeous said...

A perspective....

This is a fast paced world where things happen at break neck speed where creative writers churn their very best intellections faster than the rotating blades of a chopper and classics made in the wink of an eye. The wont of re-reading and re-viewing can be a source of great personal satisfaction but don't you possibly reckon that you may be missing out on other things? But then again, I presume it is a matter of priority.

Prashanth said...

Vc,
A friend of mine asked me if I was going to re-read all 10 Wheel of Time books prior to the release of Knife of Dreams. I told him I'm thinking about it. Rotfl... you should have seen the expression on his face!

HoH,
Personally, I've never found myself with a shortage of time except when I'm close to project deadlines / end of semester exams. And yes, when you look at how quickly authors like Sidney Sheldon churn out their repetitive junk, you'll quickly start separating the grain from the chaff. The authors whose books you find worth re-reading are usually the better ones.

Tipsy Topsy said...

I have read Pride and Prejudice multiple times mainly because I love falling in love with Darcy every time I read it. :)

As for Harry Potter, i borrowed and read the first five parts. No clue ow I am going to read the new one. Someday, i hope to buy the collection or make someone gift it to me :D

And with regard to ur concern for me, I have done a disappearing act. Still alive in the comments sections of a few blogs I truly enjoy!

Prashanth said...

Tipsy,
You'd better send me a DETAILED email about all this mysterious stuff!

But thanks for he compliment anyway... though you might take it back when I tell you that I couldn't get past the 47rd page of Pride and Prejudice!

Tipsy Topsy said...

47rd? ahem. I guess u meant 47th. And that is sad. But well, our tastes in books are quite different! So, the compliment stays :)

Squid said...

love story and jonathan livingston seagull.. 2 books i can re re re re re re re re re read... n counting... :)