Friday, July 01, 2005

A Hair - Raising Experience

Having studiously avoided all buildings with the word "beauty" or "stylist" for all but the last one week of my life, I finally had to give in to my Mom and go to a hair stylist before my brother's wedding. I fully expected to have a hair-rowing time, but I think I got even more than what I'd bargained for.

With a confidence that my father had heretofore never seen from me, I calmly announced to the lady at the counter that I wanted a facial and a new hair style. Then, with anxiety that I could hardly conceal, I waited in the barber's chair in a little closed room with parallel mirrors, feeling a little like Alice in the rabbit hole, looking at the paraphernalia of cosmetics and gizmos on the table.

One guy entered to analyze my hair. He got immediately alarmed and brought his superior. This guy looked at my hair with the practiced eye of an expert and made some curt suggestions and left. The other guy shook his head and told me conspirationally that it won't work, and explained to me in detail why anything he did to change my hair style radically would go away with a single shower. So he did a bit of trimming and said he'd get back to me after my facial.

Now the facial guy came in and massaged my face after applying some musty paste. Ouch. He rinsed it off and did it again. And again and again! And then again, with a coarser and harsher paste! I felt like a shoe that was being polished repeatedly till it shone like a mirror.

If you think that was the end of it, you're wrong. From the jaws of death, into the pits of hell (sorry, Tennyson). It was time to steam-cook my face now. I felt like I'd dunked my head into a furnace. It was getting difficult to even breathe! Abruptly, exit furnace, enter freezer. Yikes! The face pack he applied next was c-o-l-d! And he left it on for 20 minutes until it dried and the smallest twitch of a muscle on my face was impossible.

Phew! Finally, it came off. With my new (I was sure) shiny face I was taken to another room for the hair styling. With grim determination, the stylist shampoo-ed my hair, dried it and applied a setting liquid. He then combed it in a manner almost identical to my usual manner, and used the drier to make it stay. Finally he announced that that was the best he could do with what he'd been given to work with. Not in the mood to argue that I didn't really look different, I thanked him and paid up - hold your breath - 750 bucks for the services rendered and blatantly lied that I would come back with longer hair for a more "proper" styling before I left for the states.

Who on Earth would voluntarily do that more than once??!! And they even have things like pedicure, manicure, and loads of scarier names. Ooof... women! They're pure nuts!

Cheers,
Prashanth.

10 comments:

Vc said...

OOooooh nO wonder you were beaming in that pic.You know my blue goggles protected my eyes from the glare.
Rs 750/- (gulp) that's even more than the famed"Bangalore walk" :)

Tipsy Topsy said...

750 bucks. that's all?! :P

women do not enjoy these things. a haircut and facial are the least painful of all the tortures these places can make us go through.

this results in two kinds of women: those who undergo the torture, become very pretty and well maintained ..and get called nuts.
and the second kind who do not do it and are looked upon as unkempt and unattractive.

women, their state sucks!

Prashanth said...

Vc,
In a few years you'll be a balding old man and I'll be needing those goggles to look at your head :p

Tipsy,
Here's a piece guy-wisdom: we never call women unkempt and unattractive. It's women who do that to themselves. In fact most guys think women look best with the least amount of make up. Take a poll and check for yourself!!

Tipsy Topsy said...

I soooo hope what u r saying is true. god bless u.

- a 21 yr old girl who doesn't own a single lip stick

Kirthi said...

TT,
Gimme five girl. You just echoed my thoughts!! I don't own a single lipstick either.

SP,
Heck, why did u lie to the stylist? You could have been brutally honest and said I am not looking any different than before I was made lighter by a 750 bucks. It would not have a made difference unless he told u that he would make u look better for free after another rigorous routine.
Oh just FYI u just got a miniscule 'glimpse' of what a whole population of "nutty women" go through probably twice a month.
Apropos ur reply to TT, there are probably just a handful of guys who hold the same opinion as u do.
But yeah at the end of the day, I'd rather hang out with guys hold that opinion rather than those who lech around! At least they see something more than the GUI.

Vc,
What does SP's statement tell u? Listen to ur BIL and sis for Moodevi's sake!!

Tipsy Topsy said...

way to go Kirthi! and :( about shattering the great myth that Prashanth had created. anyway, as u say, few sensible ones better anyday!

Self Writeous said...

OK, I am dying to narrate this to yall. Not long ago...I saw golden riffraff on my pal's head and assuming it must be some gossamer that his wiry fibers must have latched on to, did a quick handjob on his scalp, but it stayed there obstinately much to my surprise. He turned around, you should have seen his face, like he was going through bereavement, and says 2000 bloody bucks and drops his chin immediately.

The dork went to a stylist and got himself “that” which looked like some gold polish the goldsmith sprayed by mistake on his head for a whopping 2000 bucks. :D Prashanth, your face look anything like that? :-p

Prashanth said...

Great heavens, no! My hair was much the same except that it was slightly more well behaved for a few days.

Phew! HoH, stop telling such scary stories ;)

Vc said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Vc said...

"In fact most guys think women look best with the least amount of make up."

Hmm ... well earrings,a bindi here a bindi there would be nice.
Sp's statement is True to some extent. After a certain age you look for inner beauty.

As Christopher Morley says'
In every man's heart there is a secret nerve that answers to the vibrations of beauty'.