Tuesday, September 13, 2005

The Prince and the Pauper

Back in IIT, my friends used to call me "The Prince of Chennai", mocking my pampered nature. My standard of living "rough" is very different from that of my friends; I've never done any hard physical work to speak of; I can count on the fingers of my hands the number of times I've used the city bus service; and I've always had two servants and a cook at home to do any mundane work.

I've also never had to worry about money. Don't take me wrong, I'm not from a rich family, and my Dad is pretty tightfisted when it comes to spending. But we're reasonably well off and I rarely have the occasion to spend money anyway, being content with my strange mix of home and hostel life and going out only once a week on an average. So on the occasions that I do go out, I don't mind going to restaurants where we spend two hundred rupees or more per person; on the occasions that I do buy something for myself, such as clothes, my tastes are such that some people may construe as expensive.

I also don't believe in worrying about sums of money smaller than 10 rupees, unless I feel I am doing something ethically wrong. This has resulted in some funny situations in the past. For example, I would be travelling with my friends by auto-rickshaw, and one of my pals would argue with the driver for five minutes just to bring down the price by five rupees. We would reach the destination, and then the chap would plead that it was slightly farther than we'd led him to believe, and that we ought to give him that extra five rupees. My friend would say firmly that a deal is a deal, but I would say "Sure," and hand him the extra five rupees.

My friends would then have long arguments on what would be the best way to torture and kill me, though I would just say that the five rupees was well spent; after all, we made one guy in the world happier. There is nothing wrong in it as he's earning his living, rather than begging or stealing. In fact, we could have saved five minutes of our valuable time and a lot of effort by not wrangling for that small sum in the first place.

One day I had a serious conversation with one of my friends from Raipur on the subject of money, and tried to understand why five rupees is so important when I spend a thousand rupees on a pair of jeans and two hundred rupees on dinner when I go out. He explained that he was used to spending not more than one hundred and fifty for a dinner for four, and perhaps two hundred for a pair of jeans. He thought Chennai city is attrociously expensive, and every rupee saved is valuable. Of course, there is also the matter that he is from a middle class family; I would classify myself as upper middle class I guess.

I guess money has never really been an issue for me. My wants are few; so when I do want something, I buy it regardless of price, as to me it would be worth it.

And then, of course, I left India and came to the US.

What a huge difference! Money earned in rupees is not meant to be spent in dollars. The conversions make my head giddy. I have long since stopped converting. I now measure distance in miles, weight in pounds, and money in dollars. But I know that I am being unfair to my parents if I continue to spend their hard earned money the same way that I used to back home, because the scale is now much higher. It is tantamount to waste, which is something I detest.

So I eat at fast food joints instead of restaurants, if I am forced to eat out. I look at prices when I shop, which is not something I normally do, and choose things that give me the best value for my money. I spend only on necessities and not on anything for my pleasure.

And, of course, I am no longer a Prince whose every need is taken care of. I now take care of myself. If you knew me from when I was young you would know truly what a huge step that is for me.

I feel like a Pauper in more than one sense of the word. Money. Care. Affection. The friends and family I love are not here. That one fact alone makes me feel poorer than everything else put together.

Consider this excerpt from the serial Friends a desperate attempt to lift my mood:

Ross: Well... I just never really thought of money as an issue..

Rachel: That's because you have it.

Cheers,
Prashanth.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thoughts:
flying wildly with unbridle abandon
A piece of paper:
the winged cogitation freezes to eternity...

I find writing therapeutic; be it poetry, fition or expressing views on any issue. But mostly self-reflective writings, is such a beautiful way to reflect deeply, explore within, define and redefine experiences, question previously unquestioned assumptions, unravel tangled thoughts and then to express them in all honesty to share with others and learn from them ....
.... BEAUTIFUL!!!


Now I dont wanna praise you, respecting your wish....
so... would just say....
Its a treat to share the journey of life with your experiences.... so real, so sincere, so probing, so amusing....

As is said: "it isnt the pen, its the writer;it isnt the road, its the runner; that counts..."

So paint this canvass of life with most vibrant of colours; soar to great hights ... while keeping the feet firmly rooted!!

*Intern

Anonymous said...

Lemme comment here on your poem
"Look Up"

well written, flowing effortlessly and ending with an upbeat note ....

But if I may mirror my emotional state at this point...
... its grappling with gray areas of life and embracing it, cherishing it rejoycing it ....
It is like:

Alone,
is it so bad to be?
I cherish the bonds inflamed with others
But a rather solitary walk is my cherished druther ....

*Intern

sensiblystoned said...

You are right about being the pauper in the absence of love, care and affection. *sigh* things we take for granted.

Hey, I used to do the same thing when I first came over here. I carefully scrutinized my every eating out expenditure to see if I was getting value for money but after a year, its more about what I like rather than the money. Also, I guess spending my hard earned money gives me a different outlook from yours vis a vis you spending your parents money. Take it easy buddy, tell me after 6months if you still feel the way you do now. Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Gimme five da. But you know what? I have become more of a spendthrift ever since I started earning. My parents believed I would come around when I earned it myself.
I do think before I buy but not for more than a few seconds :) And uff the sizzler parties we have! But I couldn't care less.
--kk

Sundeep said...

I guess grad student life is like that. You have to be economcal but that isnt the same as living cheaply.(ok you are forced to live that way in a quantitative sense but not necessarily a qualitative sense)

Prashanth said...

Intern,
Is it so bad to be alone? I've asked myself that question a LOT of times. I think I can handle it better than many others I have seen... but surely, it is better not to be alone, right?

Kirthi and Kierthi,
(Not to be confused with Thomson and Thompson)
Are you guys predicting that I will go back to my old ways when I start earning my own money? Hmmm... quite likely :)

Su,
I wish that my existence were not cheap in any sense of the word!

Anonymous said...

Eh? What's with the Kierthi thing? Hello??? I thought that was a typo!
--kk

Anonymous said...

Since the conversion of rupee to dollar; is one of the most common of experiences....when a person sets foot in America ... so I was reticent on this issue...
You will soon get over it ... as everyone does...

But you know Prashanth, I personally feel that living independently is an experience everyone should go through. By "independent" I mean; the stage when you forgo the patronage of parents and have yet not taken the responsibility of another soul (ie you're single)... It teaches many lessons which only a home away from home can teach... being independent n interdependent; developing adjustability n adaptability, understanding n respecting others .... I think even the perspective of family as an institution, is better understood n maybe redefined, when we're out of it for sometime ....

... and I see that Operation Depamper is becoming a multilayered, multidimensional, multifaceted n quite a prolonged undertaking ...

*Intern

Prashanth said...

Sensiblystoned is my friend Kierthi (a guy) from my school days.

Anonymous said...

Hi Da Spee...

"out only once a week on an average" .. what do you think we do ? Go out everyday ?
thu these guys .. uff..

Great work dude..

and Kirthi "Gimme five da." Rs 5 ??? ( pun Pun )
Kierthi hehhe uhahaa... poor Kk ...

==============================
Here's a santa banta joke :
There were these two Sardarji twins who looked so incredibly alike, that sometimes they borrowed money from each other without the other really knowing about it.

Artful Badger said...

You are going through the initial adjustment phase when you are still multiplying by 40. After a while you would kind of get used to it. Nowadays, I don't think twice before eating out. Aren't you looking for funding opportunities? It isn't too to get, atleast from how it is here. In the worst case you should make funding by the next semester.

Anonymous said...

OOh SP..hmm I thought u had also started smoking grass like Vc.
Vc shall I give u a sock? No the really stinky one (now ain't that punny :P)

Anonymous said...

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
- Dave Barry.

Anonymous said...

Sp even you smoke grass ? wow..

Prashanth said...

Hey Vee.... IF you were in IIT Madras, and IF you had your own motorbike and IF you were not a 9-pointer and IF you were in your final or penultimate year of studies there, you would have to be a loser not to go out at least 2-3 times a week.

Grass? Che che... am not so cheap... it's Coke or nothing: after all, Kk said "Give me PAANCH!"