Friday, October 13, 2006

Old dogs and new tricks

I've always held that the average human being's command of the English language starts dropping sometime between graduating high school and graduating college, and keeps dropping after that unless conscious measures are taken. We find it progressively difficult to maintain our fluency, leave alone improve. We become better at saying the things we are used to saying, but worse at the rest. I hunt and grope for words I know I know, but can't remember exactly, and settle for imperfect substitutes or long-winded explanations. For example, I wanted to say "esoteric" last week, but my memory failed me and I stuttered and ended up asking, "What's the word for known to a select few?"

I'm yet to reach a verdict on whether things work the same way with my courses and research. If I don't apply my knowledge of some field for a while, no matter how basic it is, will I forget? Am I finding it hard to learn some new topic simply because it is a difficult subject, or is it because I'm losing the will or capacity to learn new things?

Is it harder to teach an old dog new tricks because the old dog doesn't want to learn, or because the old dog finds it more difficult to learn? Are they, in fact, one and the same thing?

Alright, I know I'm just 23 and hardly an "old dog", but I swear my patience for course work is nowhere near what it used to be. Did I lose the inclination, or the capacity, or do I still have both but just feel insecure?

These are sad times indeed, when I need to fortify myself with caffeine to get work done. Time was, when I would perk up on looking at the problem and get through it with adrenaline instead of caffeine.

Cheers,
Prashanth.

Last book I read: Equal Rites by Terry Pratchett

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL Old Dog!
Thats funny!!!

Damn my silly brain ...
what do you call me ...
well not talking about older .. but ...

delete this ...
I'm off to sleep...
just laughing!

Anonymous said...

Prashanth - there is a correlation between synaptic plasticity (your neurons ability to store and retrieve information in very loose terms) and age. SO there is a lag that occures with remembering that which is not used often, since your neurons need more clues to go and search where they have stored what you need.
The best way to keep your brain agile is to force it to learn new things everyday. Since it has also been shown that an active hippocampus (the centre for all the memory) deals better at retrieving stored information.
In other words you are only as old as your brain thinks you are....

Kirthi said...

I think its more like the paging algorithm least recently used or whatever it was!
The less you use something it gets thrown out of the RAM (whatever it is in humans!) So it takes a good search algorithm to retrieve it (again mine is horrendous...or perhaps my database itself is kaput)
Grr see I am forgetting my basic OS and biology knowledge!
Particularly the sustained knowledge of languages, be it software or spoken, often depends on how much of it u use it on a regular basis.

Anonymous said...

the undercurrents in your post are amazingly parallel to my latest post. i have had that moment one too many times, tho, searching for a word that keeps escaping my head!

Artful Badger said...

Thats quite true actually. My math and physics is pretty rusty. My job has quite a fair bit of math to understand, and its not the CS type stuff that I usually do, so its taking me a bit more time to figure things out. However, its all about working and becoming familiar with the stuff..

alraqs said...

I second the forcing your brain to learn newer things on a regular basis...that does seem to keep other aspects on a more sharper footing....and sometimes maybe the loss of word syndrome can be attributed to fatigue, it happens...or else too many cyberoid/kael/wizard journeys :D

Prashanth said...

Intern,
I told ya, I feel older than I am all the time :)

Kaushik,
You know what... I had the exact same thought... I just might pick up good ol' Barrons again...

Sakshi,
Somehow I don't feel better knowing there's a biological explanation :)

Kirthi,
Don't mix me up any more than I already am :)

TGFI,
I already told you, we're very alike in the absent-minded thing :)

Badger,
.... and then you'll forget the stuff you have at your fingertips now...

Alraqs,
Grrrrrrr

Sundeep said...

You were at a loss for words?? What's the world coming to?

I still remember the way you scrutinized and analysed my SOP to death. I don't think anyone else I showed it to did such a thorough job. You had a few choice things to say about my word selection :).

Anonymous said...

Hahaha... I remember all too well... served you a good lesson I hope. And now I'm slipping myself, I have kick my rusty gears into action.

Anonymous said...

Yeah kind of..but the second you lose the willingness to learn...life sucks..