Thursday, October 19, 2006

Reclaiming a lost childhood

No, I didn't have a deprived childhood; quite the opposite, actually. I'm not talking about material, or even emotional needs here; I'm talking about books.

You heard me. Books. Anyone who knows me will tell you that I have my nose inside a book most of the time, and I've been that way right from childhood. However, after coming to the USA, I see before me a far wider array of books than I could even hope to get access to in those days. All the things I was fond of, and fantasized about, when I was in my early teens: starships, time travel, robots, swordsmen, dragons, wizards, and so on, wrought in black and white letters... and to me, black and white letters are good enough to conjure up vivid three dimensional images, sounds and feelings in my head.

So, although I had tons of books to read, the ones I love best were in short supply. Now, like a maniac, I've been reading all such books in an attempt to "reclaim my lost childhood". This weird mixture of refusing to grow up in some respects and lecturing like a veteran in other respects is amusing and annoying at the same time. And yet, I can't help but be me.

Cheers,
Prashanth.

Last book I read: The White Gryphon by Mercedes Lackey

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

all I can do is smile :D
ro

Anonymous said...

Totally understand the situation.
Just remember - a book is a book is a book.. What's age got to do with it?

Anonymous said...

Life mei ek hi funda hai - Never stop doing anything that u r passionate about...

Prashanth said...

Glad you understand, guys :)

Anonymous said...

awww very sweet post ...
now i dont you wont like that comment ... but I was like ...
soooo sweet!
Hope you are doing fine ...
I feel so out of the 'text' blogging world ...


Happpy Diwali!
take care ...

Vc said...

Speeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeee

Anonymous said...

were you reading all the while.. i really didn't notice..

Anonymous said...

Hmm..I weirdly understand what you say..in a weird way you cannot really understand..
Its more about to finally coming around to do things you always wanted to do..