Saturday, October 07, 2006

Relativity and all that jazz

When I was in high school, our teachers had the opportunity to send a handful of us to spend time with renowned physicist and mathematician Alladi Ramakrishnan and learn something useful. So, this little group of about 5-6 "gifted" students went to the scientist's humble abode, where he tried to inspire us with talk and some interesting problems. After all, the gifted youth of today are the leaders of science and industry tomorrow.

I knew little about the man, but there were a couple of real geniuses in our group, and they were truly in awe of him. That alone convinced me to be respectful and try to not make a fool of myself. However, inept mathematician that I am, I got our host vexed with me rather quickly. My grades may be good, but I always knew I didn't belong in the same league as some of the other kids in that room. Incidentally, our friend the Artful Badger was with us that day, and he easily belongs in that "genius" category.

When we went back that day, I could only think of one thing to say.

"Guys... will we all grow up to be grumpy old men like that?"

I'd asked the question in all seriousness, but it earned me a laugh and an admonishment to remember what a great man we'd just met.

I never did find out if all gifted young men grow up to become grumpy old men. But that was my first brush with Relativity. Over that year, I had plenty more opportunities to understand the Special Theory of Relativity. I found it very interesting, and I think I grasped parts of it in principle, but very little of the mathematics. But after high school, things like Relativity just took a back seat. Engineering is pretty different from the pure sciences.

I've always wished I knew more physics and math. Fortunately or unfortunately, this PhD has opened up so many new vistas of learning which are of higher priority that I don't know when I will ever get back to studying things like physics, math... even sanskrit.

But someday I will learn Relativity. And all that jazz!

Cheers,
Prashanth.

Last book I read: Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. There was a mention of time dilation at near-light speeds in that book which prompted this post.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

a post every 2-3 days?...now I'm positive you're fully recovered :)
ro

Artful Badger said...

Oh..I remember those days...I used to go there quite a bit with Moo..Maybe I'll comment on it..maybe even put out a post..

Artful Badger said...

We used to be taught so many random things..he used to have this Rod Theory of Light (to prove relativity he he)..and he used to keep teaching it to us..

Artful Badger said...

You know thats something I really miss..
I used to enjoy learning Physics and Math so much..CS became so much applied and I stopped doing very mathy things..

Anyway..my job looks pretty interesting..I am getting to go back to a lot of the math I used to like..albeit in a different context..

Prashanth said...

You're getting all nostalgic now, aren't you? :) I remember, I went only that first day but you guys continued going for a while.

Perhaps in a year or so I will be able to take more courses in the pure sciences. Perhaps you will do a PhD later in your life and you will be able to do so as well. Perhaps!

Divster said...

Nice...
I remember being forced into the "priveleged league" at many points. But, I am happy that I sucked in math. I missed grumpy old men :P

That reminds me.. I took two classes extra which were thought by this Old man in my univ. I used to think that I could live forever listening to his lectures. Hmm..Maybe That substitutes the lost experience with a bit more colorful streak to it :P

Anonymous said...

You asked "Guys... will we all grow up to be grumpy old men like that?"
The answer is YES!..
I cant wait to be that old and grumpy (I know I have the grumpy part down pat)..

Prashanth said...

Div,
I suck at math too. Sigh.

Sakshi,
Try to not to eat up the head of the new student in your lab when he disturbs you the next time ;)